No announcement yet.

225/75/15`s on a 51 champion ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels / Tires: 225/75/15`s on a 51 champion ?

Hi,
    Just wondered if a set of 225/75/15`s would work under a 51 champion using different wheels.
    (I`m fitting discs so the original wheels won`t work )
    Geoff

There's not much room for wider tires on a 51-52 Studebaker. The clearance is tight in the rear especially. Perhaps someone who has modified one can chime in on this. My current 52 Commander has a 2002 GMC Sonoma rear end which is a bit narrower than the original. I am hoping to put somewhat wider tires on the rear of my car.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

I am running 215/75/15 on Chrysler 5th ave rims and it works fine but is close. I have a 51 Commander 4 door.

Comment

Hmm this is looking like it may not work.
        It was just I have the chance of a set of 5 on 4 1/2 Jeep wheels with brand new tires for $200
        Even if the rims don`t work I wondered if the tires would
        Geoff

Comment

A 640x15 bias relates to only a 195/75r15 which is not very common anymore. The size you are relating to is three sizes larger. Measure very carefully and don't forget to account for the very narrow Studebaker rims. See if you can find a used tire of the same size and mount it on your spare rim for trial fitment purposes only. That will be the real test.
          Good luck,
          Bill
          PS: The Jeep rims will be positive offset(like front wheel drive) so there may be other clearance issues.

Comment

When I first got my 52 Champion I had 775x15 tires on the stock wheels. The inside of the front tire rubbed the grease fitting on the A arm on tight turns. Later, I changed to the stock 640X15 and it was okay. I never drove that car with modern sized tires.
            "In the heart of Arkansas."
            Searcy, Arkansas
            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
            1952 2R pickup

Comment

Working...
            X