No announcement yet.

What was the transmission in '65?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: What was the transmission in '65?

When the McKinnon engine appeared in the '65 Studebaker, what transmission was used behind it?

The automatic was a Borg Warner 35 Aluminum case and used a bell housing from, (I believe) Checker/Jeep. The BW 8 cast iron case was last used in the 64's that still used the Studebaker engines.
    sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
    1950 Champion Convertible
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
    1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Originally posted by thunderations View Post
      The automatic was a Borg Warner 35 Aluminum case and used a bell housing from, (I believe) Checker/Jeep. The BW 8 cast iron case was last used in the 64's that still used the Studebaker engines.
      Sorry, but this is not correct.

Only the 6 Cyl. Cars used the Aluminum, light weight Model 35's, there were H.D. versions for the '66 230 Engine.

The '65 and '66 283 McKinnon Engined Cars all use the tried and proven, AS12-5P Cast Iron Case H.D. Oil Cooled, Flight-O-Matic Borg Warner Automatic Transmissions.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

interchangeability (if that's a word)

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post

Only the 6 Cyl. Cars used the Aluminum, light weight Model 35's, there were H.D. versions for the '66 230 Engine.

The '65 and '66 283 McKinnon Engined Cars all use the tried and proven, AS12-5P Cast Iron Case H.D. Oil Cooled, Flight-O-Matic Borg Warner Automatic Transmissions.
        Was it a direct bolt-up? In other words, was the bolt-up pattern of the bell housing the same as used behind the Studebaker V-8? How many other manufacturers used that transmission?

Comment

There was a special bell housing used for the McKinnon V-8 to the BW trans, and special cross member.
          Candbstudebakers
          Castro Valley,
          California

Comment

Then I was mis-informed when I asked that question about my 66 Daytona. It has a later GM automatic behind the 283 and I wanted to convert it back to original. Guess the informant thought I had a 6 cylinder instead of an 8. Sorry for the mistake.
            Did the 283's use the Checker/Jeep bell housing in front of the AS12-5P, and was that the same transmission that was used in a 64 behind a 289?
            Thanks for clearing it up.
            Originally posted by StudeRich View Post

1950 Champion 4Dr
            1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Originally posted by colt45sa View Post
              Was it a direct bolt-up? In other words, was the bolt-up pattern of the bell housing the same as used behind the Studebaker V-8? How many other manufacturers used that transmission?
              It's one of the most rugged, longest-lived and widely used automatics ever. The "direct-bolt-up" is the kicker. Since some AMC/Jeeps used the B-W tranny behind a GM engine, the bell housing to join the two already existed.

From the mid-'50s to the 1980s, Ford, International, AMC, Jaguar and many others used versions of the basic Borg-Warner transmission. Some were water-cooled, some were not. Most internal parts are the same, but not all. Most cases are the same, but not all.

Jack Vines
              PackardV8

Comment

Which GM trans do you have in your car now? If it is a 350 turbo or 200-700 r 4 I wouldn't think you would want to replace them just be more stock studebaker. Both are great trans.

Comment

Very true, (I believe it's a 350 and works exceptionally well) but when the car is the first 1966 Daytona built and was Studebaker's show car until they went out of business, I feel that it should be as correct as I can make it. It's a little piece of history that some day may be of more interest then it is now. I've spent much time and a decent amount of my retirement income to locate and purchase parts that were on the modified build sheet. Still looking for a correct locking gas cap.
                  Everyone wants the last one built and the first one is really more important. Without Adam & Eve, where would you be?
                  Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
                  Which GM trans do you have in your car now? If it is a 350 turbo or 200-700 r 4 I wouldn't think you would want to replace them just be more stock studebaker. Both are great trans.
                  1950 Champion 4Dr
                  1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Originally posted by thunderations View Post
                    /Cut/Did the 283's use the Checker/Jeep bell housing in front of the AS12-5P, and was that the same transmission that was used in a 64 behind a 289?
                    Thanks for clearing it up.
                    Yes only the V8's would have the Jeep Wagoneer 4X4 Converter Housing to match a Cast Iron Case Borg Warner. It fits them all, but the Trans Used on the 283 was quite bit different than the Stude. V8.

They did not use the Manual Throttle Pressure Control Rod they have a Cable, and as I said it is a H.D. version that has the Oil Cooler Lines In & Out.
                    The Oil Cooling makes it H.D. similar to the Avanti Powered Cars, Taxis, Police and Trucks, but still not THE SAME.

So the bottom line is, if you are looking for a Converter Housing & Trans., it has to be a '65 or '66 283 Car.

You will need to move the Rear Engine Mount on the Tail of the Trans. forward on the tubular crossmember from where the THM now sits.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Do the 65-66 v8 automatics have first gear or second gear start? I have a 66 V8 but it is in storage and I've only driven it 20 or 30 miles since I purchased it. My 63 Cruiser has the second gear start and I do not like it at all. It really kills the performance of the R1 engine.

Comment

Jeep never used a Chevrolet V-8 engine and Borg-Warner automatic. The Buick 350 was the only GM V-8 used by Jeep and it used the TH400.

Jeep also used the TH400 with the AMC 327 V-8.
                        Bob Langer
                        Glenshaw,PA

Comment

Originally posted by joncon View Post
                          Do the 65-66 v8 automatics have first gear or second gear start? I have a 66 V8 but it is in storage and I've only driven it 20 or 30 miles since I purchased it. My 63 Cruiser has the second gear start and I do not like it at all. It really kills the performance of the R1 engine.
                          From what I can remember about my 65 Daytona and the 283 with Bw trans it did start in 2nd but if set up right it would drop to 1st if you stepped on it hard or put it in low, nothing wrong with that type of set up either, I don't see how it kills your performance of the R-1 if set up and working right, you want performance install a 4 speed.
                          Candbstudebakers
                          Castro Valley,
                          California

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
                            From what I can remember about my 65 Daytona and the 283 with Bw trans it did start in 2nd but if set up right it would drop to 1st if you stepped on it hard or put it in low, nothing wrong with that type of set up either, I don't see how it kills your performance of the R-1 if set up and working right, you want performance install a 4 speed.
                            Changing to a 4 speed is easy to do if you happen to have a 4 speed with shift, clutch, pedals, bell housing and all the other numerous parts to change it over. I don't.
                            My transmission may need the linkage adjusted. I don't believe it starts in low even if you stomp it at start. Right now the car is apart for painting. I'll find out after I paint it when the weather clears up here. It just seems odd to me to have a three speed trans, and only use two gears 90% of the time. This 63 and the 66 are the only Studebaker's out off the 34 I've owned over the years to have automatics in them, the others all had 4 speeds or standard or overdrives in them.

Comment

Actually changing it to a manual is easier then you think. Your 65 has hanging pedals so you can even convert a brake pedal to a clutch. All you need is one hanging pedal in addition to the one you have and replace the standardf rod that the pedals pivot on with some reddy rod and weld up some linkage parts. Many of us have standard transmissin Studes of that era. I have two and it just so happens that my 65 is in my shop slowly getting the front suspension rebuild so I have the front fenders off. I built the clutch linkage in Pinkie as she was an automatic when I put her together. That linkage has to be able to deliver 5000 foot pounds to release the clutch so the linkage should be fine for what you drive. So what you have to thing about is which transmission do you want and three. four or five speeds.
                              If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
                              64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
                              61 V8 Tcab
                              63 Tcab 20R powered
                              55 Commander Wagon
                              54 Champion Wagon
                              46 Gibson Model A
                              50 JD MC
                              45 Agricat
                              67 Triumph T100
                              66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment