PDA

View Full Version : My "new" color-coordinated 1950 license plates

Lothar
03-08-2016, 12:19 PM
The State of Nebraska allows owners of historic vehicles (30+ years old) to license them with year of manufacture plates, as long as the plates are in satisfactory condition, as determined by them. It a bit of a hassle, because the only place that you can get the registration with the year of manufacture plates is at the state DMV office in Lincoln. there is also a one-time $90 fee, but then the vehicle is registered "forever." I was fortunate to find a set of plates from Logan County (a beautiful but thinly-populated county in the Nebraska Sandhills) that had never been issued. Fortunately, the law allows you to use plates from counties other than the county in which you reside. My home county is Phelps, which is #37 and Logan County is #87. Anyway, it is my great luck that 1950 plates just happen to be blue-on-white, and a shade of blue that is very similar to my car's Concord Blue repaint. In my opinion, they look MUCH nicer on my car than the yellow-and-green general issue plates that I had before. In fact, they're the nicest looking part of my car now.

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc126/lotharhp/IMG_20160306_153455_102.jpg (http://s213.photobucket.com/user/lotharhp/media/IMG_20160306_153455_102.jpg.html)

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc126/lotharhp/IMG_20160306_153504_702.jpg (http://s213.photobucket.com/user/lotharhp/media/IMG_20160306_153504_702.jpg.html)

GrumpyOne
03-08-2016, 12:52 PM
Nice... I have a set of '55 never issued YOM plates that will go on the Prez State sedan...

57pack
03-08-2016, 09:33 PM
Looks great!
Wish NJ would adopt a YOM license plate law.
Knowing the DMV folks in Trenton...it'll never happen.

Swifster
03-08-2016, 11:17 PM
New Jersey plates don't look much different than they do now...

In Michigan, the plates are allowed to be restored. I have a set for the Daytona. I'll need a set for the Commander. The '62-'64 Michigan plates are green over white. At least the Commander is getting painted green...

1954khardtop
03-09-2016, 06:06 AM
Very nice!

blackhawk61
03-09-2016, 08:22 AM
Blackhawk61's yom plate

Corvanti
03-09-2016, 04:11 PM

here's my '51 YOM plate that i restored.

the process is easy here in NC. just have the current year plate and registration in the vehicle. i also keep a copy of the the state statute regarding YOM plates in the glove box - just in case i get pulled over by a Law Enforcement Officer that is unaware of the statute. i haven't been stopped, but a few others here in NC have had that experience.:(

Lothar
03-09-2016, 04:31 PM
Nice plates, guys! Blackhawk, I'm curious about your vanity plate. Who made it (I assume that its a reproduction, not actually dating back to 1961)? Do you have friends in the North Carolina prison system?
I'm also curious about which other states use or once used a county number system like Nebraska. I know that Wyoming, South Dakota and-I think- Montana still start plate numbers with a county designation number. I'm pretty sure that Iowa and Kansas used to use that system as well.

Skip Lackie
03-09-2016, 05:13 PM
The states are all over the place on YOM laws. Some require almost-perfect, original plates (and some require pairs in states that had them). Others allow restored plates. Others (like NC) will sell you personalized plates (that would not have been available in the original year) in YOM colors. Some allow the YOM plates to be "display" only, with the correct legal plates required to be carried in the car. Some allow the YOM plate number to duplicate a current, valid number that is in use on a modern plate; some (Calif) do not. Some are available for a one-time fee, many still require an annual fee. I don't think any states that issued plates with county codes require the YOM plate to be from the "correct" county, but I might be wrong on that.

Hawaii still uses county codes for passenger car plates. It's the first letter in the ABC-123 format. In addition to those you listed, I believe Idaho and Indiana still use county codes. At one time, more that half the states included county codes, or at least included an ID to the DMV office that issued the plates (even if that was not the county the vehicle was registered in).

Lothar
03-09-2016, 05:24 PM
Nebraska only requires one YOM plate, even though two plates are required for general use by cars and trucks. Plates can be restored, but they need to be restored to original condition with original colors. You don't need to retain a prior historic or general use plate or registration.

Sam Ensley
03-09-2016, 06:21 PM
During the 1950's and 60's, Georgia issued license plates according to each county's population. For instance, Fulton County (includes most of Atlanta) was No. 1. Georgia has 159 counties (only Texas has more) so the county with the smallest population wore the no. 159. I was born and grew up in Towns County which was no. 151. After the 1960 census, many counties changed numbers. The adjoining county where I now live, Union County, slipped from 130 to 131 after 1960. Now, each license plate had a decal that names the county where the vehicle is registered. Personalized plates are available in Georgia, but now am extra fee must be paid every year. The YOM plates can be used, but a current plate and registration must be carried in the car.

Lothar
03-09-2016, 07:47 PM
Nebraska's county number codes are tied to numerical ranking of population as well (as counted in the 1910 census). They haven't changed since they were specified in 1920, (except that county numbers 1, 2 and 59 were retired to allow for six-digit alpha-numeric plate numbers in Omaha and Lincoln areas) which results in most counties having higher or lower numbers than they would if they were ranked based on current population.

Jarrod
03-09-2016, 08:29 PM
Alabama uses a number system. First three numbers are most populous counties and remainder are in alphabetical order. We got YOM plates three years ago. You have to use an original plate in good condition (most years available on eBay for $100 or less) and a small sticker is applied in corner when registered. You pay a one time fee. Same rules as vintage plate apply which means cannot be on car used as daily driver (although rarely enforced). I think it adds a lot to have the YOM plate. The plates were a different color each year until approx. 1982.

nebraska stude
03-10-2016, 01:00 AM
John, Thanks for that information, still the hassle of driving to Lincoln. Am digging thru my pile for 1941 plates. 31 County. The colors on yours look real close.

57pack
03-10-2016, 08:07 AM
NJ used a two letter system to identify counties. Two small letters one over the other on left side of plate. Also changed colors every year until 1959 when the state adopted the "straw" color plates. The county Id was then no longer used .

blackhawk61
03-10-2016, 08:36 AM
Nice plates, guys! Blackhawk, I'm curious about your vanity plate. Who made it (I assume that its a reproduction, not actually dating back to 1961)? Do you have friends in the North Carolina prison system?
I'm also curious about which other states use or once used a county number system like Nebraska. I know that Wyoming, South Dakota and-I think- Montana still start plate numbers with a county designation number. I'm pretty sure that Iowa and Kansas used to use that system as well.

License plates.tv

8E45E
03-10-2016, 06:14 PM

I posted a photo of a '61 Hawk with a 'real' North Carolina YOM plate here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?7701-pictures-of-a-Hawk-painted-Autumn-Haze

Craig

GrumpyOne
03-10-2016, 08:28 PM
Here are my YOM plates from Texas...

file://localhost/Users/MacUser/Desktop/ImmediateFamily.jpg

I sure wish that someone would explain how to post a freakin' picture here. I've tried ever which way with nothing by failures!