hawk spring bushings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame / Springs: hawk spring bushings

Anyone know what the width is on the gt hawk spring bushings? I know the diam. front is 1.5 and rear are 7/8 but what about width.

Approx 2.850" The sleeves are the widest part and are not all the same length, depending on who you get them from. Or are you talking about the rubber part, which are 2 1/2".

Comment

Anyone have a good reason why Studebaker used fine thread bolts on the rear springs eyelets? I'am guessing they must be grade 8 or better but why fine tread?

Comment

Studebaker used SAE Fine Thread fasteners on many things, but mostly things they did NOT want to FALL APART!

A Fine Thread takes at least Twice as long to work/vibrate it's way off, than a Course thread Bolt and Nut.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Fine threaded bolts are stronger than the equivalent coarse threaded bolts in both tension and shear since fine threaded bolts have a slightly larger minor diameter.
          Cliff
          54 Commander Coupe driver
          53 Commander Hardtop project
          SE Washington State

Comment

That's what I was thinking is that they had to be a bit stronger but boy it sure can't be by much. If it's going to pull apart a coarse tread bolt a fine tread sure wouldn't be far behind.

Comment

Originally posted by cliffh View Post
              Fine threaded bolts are stronger than the equivalent coarse threaded bolts in both tension and shear since fine threaded bolts have a slightly larger minor diameter.
              Cliff
              A grade 3 bolt is a grade 3 bolt, as is a grade 5 or 8 bolt, threads have nothing to do with the strength of a bolt. I "think" the spring bolts are all grade 5

Jim
              "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
              their Memorials!

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Ragtop View Post
                A grade 3 bolt is a grade 3 bolt, as is a grade 5 or 8 bolt, threads have nothing to do with the strength of a bolt. I "think" the spring bolts are all grade 5

Jim
                In the shank of the bolt you are correct but the threaded part is slightly stronger with fine threads. This may be more of a factor with bolts in tension such as the bolts holding the lower inner control arm pivot shaft to the crossmember.

http://www.katonet.com/article/coarsevsfine.html

However, I agree with StudeRich, Studebaker probably used fine thread bolts because they have less tendency to loosen under vibration.
                Cliff
                54 Commander Coupe driver
                53 Commander Hardtop project
                SE Washington State

Comment

There are also two bolt holes in the front spring mount for the front bushing bolt. One looks to be about a inch above the other. Is this to change the ride height by about a in.?

Comment

If you look closely you will find that the bolt is in the upper hole on the Pass. side and the lower hole on the Drivers side. That is because you have the Battery and Driver on that side and if you get a 200 lb. driver you need it.

Comment

Thanks Alan My frame doesn't have the springs on it yet so that is how I will do it. I take it your saying my fat butt makes one side of the car lean.

Comment

Yes, but mine too. I now weigh 210 and the rear springs are 150 lbs. inch.

Comment

Working...
                        X