Carb Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Carb Replacement

I want to replace the Carter RBS carb on the '64 ohv six that's in my '51 Champion. The choke and vacuum advance are missing on the carb I have now. Any suggestions? Also, I am experiencing the same "empty bowl" and "hard starting after sitting" problems discussed in other threads. Is there a recommended 6v low pressure pump to prime the system? Thanks for the help.

That is a '63-'64 OHV Six Carb. and a piece of junk, it is about THREE Generations beyond the Original Carter that belongs on the '51.

Look it up in the 1951 Chassis Parts Catalog to get the right one, they should be plentiful since many people scrap the Complete small Six Flathead Engines and may have the external Parts.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Hi Jeb,
      A member of the forum used this carb, apparently with good results:
      Daytona Parts Co - Standard replacement carburetor and our fully adjustable universal carburetor. Replacement carburetors to fit any application.

This fuel pump was presented in the last Turning Wheels and seem a good choice. Cheaper models exist though.

Nice day to all.
      sigpic

Comment

Thanks guys, I have a chassis catalog for '51 and a book for the '64 engine. I haven't gotten to read my TW yet so I haven't seen the pump information. Now I have an excuse to relax and read through our magnificent periodical. I assume the pump info is in the Co-Operator section. I get to attend the parts swap meet in Portland Oregon this year so maybe I'll find something there.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeb View Post
          I assume the pump info is in the Co-Operator section.
          This pump is described in a very interesting article where Randy Rundle explains why he designed it (alcohol in gasoline). He also describes the use of different fuel filters.
          sigpic

Comment

The carb on my car has the vacuum advance dismantled and the choke is missing. It was installed when the previous owned swapped the flathead for the ohv engine. I'm not sure why, but the consensus is that this is a crummy carburetor. I'm need a carb that works better in our climate. That means a working choke.

Comment

The 32 RBS is usually described as a bad carb but, by following closely the instructions and making accurate settings, mine performs satisfactorily even in cold weather. I wouldn't compare "my" cold weather to "your" cold weather, though. By the way, the Daytona Parts carb has a manual choke. This can be an advantage for you.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jeb View Post
                The carb on my car has the vacuum advance dismantled and the choke is missing. It was installed when the previous owned swapped the flathead for the ohv engine. I'm not sure why, but the consensus is that this is a crummy carburetor. I'm need a carb that works better in our climate. That means a working choke.
                The choke heat tube fits into a larger tube that goes all the way through the exhaust manifold. That tube burns out, allowing exhaust to be drawn into the choke housing and gumming up the works. I adapted an electric choke to an RBS using a late '60s VW part. You'll need to get the VW retaining ring also and enlarge the three holes slightly, and replace the RBS screws with three longer ones.
                Not sure what you mean by 'vacuum advance'. If the pull-off piston inside the choke housing has been removed, that's a bit more of a problem.
                Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
                  Not sure what you mean by 'vacuum advance'. If the pull-off piston inside the choke housing has been removed, that's a bit more of a problem.
                  The choke thermostat housing, choke shaft, and related parts are missing. The previous owner had a remote start button under the hood. I was given instructions to remove the air cleaner, hold my palm over the carb, remote start the car and quickly remove my hand from the carb before the engine flooded. Must have worked great in central California. If I can find the missing parts the electric choke might do the trick. I'm still concerned about all the opinions perceiving this carb as junk. I'm leaning toward Richard's advice and tracking down an earlier carb from a flathead six, just in case.

Comment

There was a post on the forum about installing a progressive 2 barrel carb from a Pinto or small Mustang, late 70's perhaps. Seems like it would work well on the OHV six.
                    sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                    1950 Champion Convertible
                    1950 Champion 4Dr
                    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                    1957 Thunderbird

Comment

rbs carbs

Originally posted by thunderations View Post
                      There was a post on the forum about installing a progressive 2 barrel carb from a Pinto or small Mustang, late 70's perhaps. Seems like it would work well on the OHV six.
                      A couple years ago as I was leaving York meet I talked to a guy that installed that installed a Mustang 2 barrel on his over head 6 stude . He said it worked well and gave better mileage . He was leaving also so I did not have chance to get any details .
                      NEIL G.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderations View Post
                        I'll look for the post. I wonder what modifications would be required. I'm digging the car out of the snow today. It's warm enough to pull the carb (a balmy +20F). I think I'll take it with me to the Portland swap meet.

Comment

the carb for the '51 flathead 170 is a Carter Model WE-7158.

hope this helps.
                          Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

If you get to Portland for the swap meet, I've got 3 intact Studebaker RBS carbs that I will give you. All three have the choke assemblies.
                            I've rebuilt these before. They are a little touchy to get adjusted internally but beyond that they seem okay. Not very many parts to a complete carburetor - may be so simple that they are complex to some.
                            They were used on AMC cars and some Ford Mavericks so they are not unknown to the carburetor world.

Comment

Thank you for the kind offer. I will definitely be at the Portland swap meet. I purchased non-refundable tickets to ward off any unforeseen circumstances that might sabotage the trip. If we could meet, and you are willing to put up with a neophyte, I would love to bend your ear with questions. One of your carbs may be the answer to my problems. With so many options presented to me I'm in the position of not being knowledgeable enough to make a decision even though one has to be made. At this point I'm willing to try anything and everything. Maybe I'll run across a Carter Model WE-7158 as suggested by Richard and Kerry.

Comment

Working...
                              X