V8 PCV Tower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V8 PCV Tower

In another Post, in one of the photos, there is a picture of a PCV tower (63 Cruiser) used in lieu of a road draft tube used on earlier V8 engines. Where would one find/purchase one of these towers? I plan on replacing my road draft tube with one, and plumbing it to an inconspicuous spot on my air cleaner...sans pcv valve.

In order to successfully vent directly to the air cleaner, there must be a windage shield at the source...

Comment

You may want to read more on that Post because I think it explains that the Crankcase Breather from the Lifter Cover goes to the Carb. to draw the fumes out of the Crankcase with a PCV Valve in line to prevent backfire and restrict the flow.

There is a "windage tray" built into the Factory Lifter Cover on Non-Avantis.

It is not needed to have a High Speed "Upper Crankcase Breather" from a Valve Cover to the Air Cleaner, but if used, there is no PCV Valve required in that circuit. And Sealed Non-breather Type Oil Caps are needed.

On Late '64 2nd. Series Canadian Imports that system was mandated and used but pre Late '64 did not use it and they worked fine to remove moisture from the Crankcase and re-burn any unburned Oil or Fuel Vapors.
      Last edited by StudeRich; 03-06-2016, 11:25 AM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

STUDRICH - Do the road draft tube systems have a baffle in the valley cover? If a 63 type PCV tower is used in the valley cover instead of the road draft tube, why would a baffle be needed, and why wouldn't a breathable type oil fill cap be used if the tower is plumbed to the air cleaner? Wouldn't fresh air need to be drawn into it as crankcase fumes are drawn out through the air cleaner? Inquiring minds want to know...(before I waste time and money on a system that's flawed)

Comment

You do have to remember that these Dual systems happened in 1964, on Late '64 Canadian Models, long after your '56 with the Oil Filler Pipe and single Cap was built.

It helped a lot to have the Dual Oil Caps on the Valve Covers to be able to use the Upper and Lower Crankcase Systems, they had a sealed Cap and a Cap with a nipple for a 5/8" or 3/4" Hose to the Air Cleaner. One system is for Low speed the other for high Speed.

The Engineering of how it works I know not, but there is an SAE Paper written about how the really Excellent Avanti Crankcase Ventilation System works, which is the same principle only better.
          It was developed by Studebaker Engineers in 1962 and copied by the Big Three.

Oh, almost forgot to answer your Question, ALL Stude. Engines except Avantis have a Oil Liquid Baffle in the Lifter Cover (V8) or Valve Door (6 Cyl.).
          Last edited by StudeRich; 03-06-2016, 11:57 AM.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

And there is usually lots of sludge and crap built up in between the baffle, and the valley cover. I drill out the spot welds, and scrub them clean, and re-weld when I overhaul engines. You can never be too clean!
            Bez Auto Alchemy
            573-318-8948
            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Working...
            X