Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you guys think of this valley cover?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you guys think of this valley cover?

I am tossing around the idea of purchasing one of these:

But I noticed it doesnt have the PCV valve? Will this work or would I need to figure out a different place to put the PCV?

This is from Vintage Speed. He repros and makes a lot of unique vintage speed parts, including 3X2 to 4bbl intake adapters, Edmunds air cleaners, etc. I put one of his early air cleaners on a vintage I8 Buick and it was well done. Prices are reasonable.

CUSTOM FUEL SYSTEMS TRI-POWER PROGRESSIVE LINKAGE CARBURETORS CARBS ROCHESTER HOLLEY STROMBERG AIR CLEANERS MANIFOLDS PARTS FUEL LINES ADAPTERS
    Dan White
    64 R1 GT
    64 R2 GT
    58 C Cab
    57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

It would work well on an R1.
      78 Avanti RQB 2792
      64 Avanti R1 R5408
      63 Avanti R1 R4551
      63 Avanti R1 R2281
      62 GT Hawk V15949
      56 GH 6032504
      56 GH 6032588
      55 Speedster 7160047
      55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

It is sort of generic.
        Missing the center bolt.
        Needs machining for a draft tube or pcv adapter.
        The bottom is flat, with a cast surface.
        There is no relief in the center, so certain intake manifolds will hit the fins.
        The casting surface is a bit rough, so oil, dirt, and Studegoo will cover it and be hard to clean off.
        It will always look dirty.

So... If you don't mind reworking it a bit, it would be cool.
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Paint your existing valley cover silver, and call it good.
          sigpic
          In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
            It is sort of generic.
            Missing the center bolt.
            Needs machining for a draft tube or pcv adapter.
            The bottom is flat, with a cast surface.
            There is no relief in the center, so certain intake manifolds will hit the fins.
            The casting surface is a bit rough, so oil, dirt, and Studegoo will cover it and be hard to clean off.
            It will always look dirty.

So... If you don't mind reworking it a bit, it would be cool.
            Sounds to me like Jeff will be marketing one of his own soon!!

Anyway, this valley cover looks to be a real nice update for a Stude V8 at a reasonable price,.....Go for it!

Comment

I guess it depends on the "Look" you are trying to accomplish.
              If you like the "Overdone" look like those that Chrome everything, that's fine but I think Ribbed Valve Covers are enough, a Ribbed Oil Filler Pipe block-off Plate is available even Ribbed Air Cleaners and these Lifter Covers, but why overdo it?

The last time this came up here, I said who is going to wipe and hose down all those Ribs every 3 Months to keep it looking Good?

No one agreed at the time that they are overkill and silly. Take your best guess.

But poor fit, no baffled Crankcase Breather passage, no hole for PCV or draft tube, no center Bolt hole etc. are considerations.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Points well taken Rich, but if you take another look at his ad, it sounds like he's already anticipated the need for various setups/attachments, and will work with the buyer on that. (no doubt for an extra charge, of course!)

Comment

My brother has had a finned valley cover on his engine for years. (I don't know where he got it.) What you can see of it looks nice, but he said if he had known how little of it would show, he wouldn't have gotten it. Stiil, I think one would look nice with finned valve covers.
                  "In the heart of Arkansas."
                  Searcy, Arkansas
                  1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                  1952 2R pickup

Comment

But it is finned aluminum it should add at least 25 horse power.

Before everyone get there nickers in a twist that was said with tongue planted firmly in cheek!

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
                      My brother has had a finned valley cover on his engine for years. (I don't know where he got it.) What you can see of it looks nice, but he said if he had known how little of it would show, he wouldn't have gotten it. Stiil, I think one would look nice with finned valve covers.
                      Here's a pic of my 62GT with the finned valve and valley cover. You can decide for yourself if it's visibility is worth it. There are breathers available to "complete" the look if you want more bling. This was on the car when I bought it so not sure where it came from.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080299.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	1704168
                      Last edited by Kato; 03-06-2016, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Back from 2010:

And a tech piece about the SI finned cover back in the day:

And a thread showing the engine that Dick Steinkamp put together.

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by Kato
                          No idea why that second photo showed up... that's not my car.. sorry!
                          That "Attachment Photo" is in your "Attachments" Folder on the Forum, you get to it from the "Go Advanced Mode" down at the bottom, you can delete any old Photos you added by mistake or whatever, by using the "X" at the Upper Right of each Photo.

"Attachments" are not the same as actual added to a Post Type Photos, and they always display at the bottom of your Post as this one did.
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                            That "Attachment Photo" is in your "Attachments" Folder on the Forum, you get to it from the "Go Advanced Mode" down at the bottom, you can delete any old Photos you added by mistake or whatever, by using the "X" at the Upper Right of each Photo.

"Attachments" are not the same as actual added to a Post Type Photos, and they always display at the bottom of your Post as this one did.
                            That worked like a charm.. thanks.. Still not sure how I posted that in the first place but I now know how to get rid of it.

The dressed up 289 looks great but first thing I am going to do is see if the valley cover on my GT was modified for the PCV. I have my doubts! What are the draw backs of not having the PCV if it isn't installed?

Comment

Steinkamp's Stude engine really is a honey...isn't it?

Comment

Working...
                              X