Fix for GT Hawk turn signal indicators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Fix for GT Hawk turn signal indicators

I got tired of not being able to see the dim green turn indicators on my GT Hawk dash and finally decided it was time to do something about it, since I was under the dash trying to fix the tach (Which I failed to get working). I replaced the original dim OEM style bulbs with super bright green 12V bayonet LEDs and VOILA! I can see my turn indicators on the dash now! I always worried about being that old fart driving along with the left blinker flashing for miles down the freeway, now I have one less thing to worry about. The bulb sockets are difficult to reach but you can get to them by removing the heater and defrost controls and the emergency brake screws and spacer block. I also installed an electronic flasher unit which makes a more audible click when the signal flashes.

Could you list the parts and draw up a schematic?
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

No schematic/parts list needed, just a desire for better turn indicators....and strong, skinny fingers. Just remove the bulb holder, replace the bulb with one of these (or similar correct voltage LEDs) ... http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Buick-BRI...3rQ_2g&vxp=mtr..... and pop the bulb holder back in. Easy cheesy...kinda.... You will be amazed at the difference!

Comment

Going under the dash of my GT scares me to death.
        I'd rather be driving my Studebaker!

sigpic

Comment

I wonder if those LEDs fit any of the other dash lights?
          I'd rather be driving my Studebaker!

sigpic

Comment

They will fit but I don't think the dimming function will work, they will probably stay on full brightness regardless of dimmer position. You would also probably want to get the type that has LED arrays on the sides, not just the end. I have used LEDs in other positions that aren't on the dimmer switch, like the powershift dial indicator and the larger size bayonet lamps for the backup lights. I'm planning on replacing the fender spear lamps with LEDs some day. I'd like to convert the dome light but I haven't found a a 2 contact LED, be fairly easy to make one with an old 2 contact lamp base but you would have to be careful since the socket doesn't have staggered bayonet pins, thus no polarity. Don't be afraid to go under the dash, but disconnect the battery first and remove the driver seat, much, much easier then!

Comment

Originally posted by wlfrench View Post
              I wonder if those LEDs fit any of the other dash lights?
              Should work for the hi-beam indicator light.

Comment

Originally posted by wlfrench View Post
                Going under the dash of my GT scares me to death.
                I had to do it recently to get at the gas gage. It is not a piece of cake but if you do as others suggested in this forum (remove the front seat, first!), you'll be much more comfortable.
                sigpic

Comment

And put down a nice comfortable pad on the floor! Luck Doofus

Comment

All the above - Plus- bleed down one of the brakes until the pedal reaches the floor and then cram something of a suitable size between the pedal arm and the floor (under the car). One more thing less to poke you in the head. If the Hawk is manual shift (like mine) disconnect the clutch pedal and now you have a flatter floor with a few more inches of space to work with under the dash.

Don't forget to fill the brake M/C and release the pedal!

Paul TK

Comment

I used a different approach to brighten the GTs' turn signal indicators. Popped the green lens holders out, and replaced the the green with pieces cut from the bottom of a plastic, Mountain Dew bottle. End of problem, they now work like they probably did over 50 years ago, before the plastic cured and darkened. Best part, I did not even have to go under the dash.

Comment

When/if you go under the dash, it is a good idea to disconnect the battery first. That way there won't be any sparks when a tool touches something that it shouldn't touch.
                        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I installed a used original tach in my recently-purchased '62 GT Hawk. You're right about the getting under the dash! After Lord knows how many previous owners, the underneath looks like Medusa's hair. Taking out the driver's seat definitely made the job easier. My smart-aleck son took a picture of me doing the work and claimed that my GT had the "camper option." And yes, by all means disconnect the battery before doing anything under there!

The referencd LEDs on e-Bay are listed as green in color for Buicks. Do LED bulbs come in clear whose illiuminataion would work on our cars? Even on "High" i can barely make out my dash lights at night. I'd like more info from someone on these bulbs so that I can replace all my dash lights with LEDs.

Thanks.

Bill L.
                          Attached Files
                          Bill L.
                          1962 GT Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by 56GH View Post
                            I installed a used original tach in my recently-purchased '62 GT Hawk. You're right about the getting under the dash! After Lord knows how many previous owners, the underneath looks like Medusa's hair. Taking out the driver's seat definitely made the job easier. My smart-aleck son took a picture of me doing the work and claimed that my GT had the "camper option." And yes, by all means disconnect the battery before doing anything under there!

The referencd LEDs on e-Bay are listed as green in color for Buicks. Do LED bulbs come in clear whose illiuminataion would work on our cars? Even on "High" i can barely make out my dash lights at night. I'd like more info from someone on these bulbs so that I can replace all my dash lights with LEDs.

Thanks.

Bill L.
                            I could not find any instrument type LEDs that the spec says are dimmable. I believe they would work on the highest dimmer position and probably be on high regardless of where the dimmer rheostat or switch is set except lowest or "off" position. My thought would be to try one in an easy to reach position and see, you can't hurt anything. They come in clear or most basic colors and are not necessarily specific to any particular car make.

Comment

You dress that nice to camp under the dash??? Doofus

Comment

Working...
                              X