Studebaker C-Clamp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker C-Clamp

My father found a Studebaker C-Clamp at an auction before he died, in an auction in South Bend, and I recently was able to obtain it from the person who purchased it at my step mom's auction (I missed the clamp there and missed it again when it was resold on eBay and eventually obtained it from the person who purchased it on eBay (President8). This clamp was purchased around 2008 Liver's auction house in South Bend (East side near the near the river) in a box lot that my father didn't think much of until he won it for a buck and I turned the clamp over to reveal the Studebaker name on it..

I've done some research with the folks on the Garage Journal, and no real clues. I've also searched for it via Google etc. and found a few more reference, but no solid leads to either Studebaker Corp. or the Studebaker Machine Company (of the hydraulic vise fame). I've found a couple more referenced clamps in Mishawaka, and have an email out to that site to see if I can zero in on them.

I thought I would post it here to see if anyone has seen or maybe have one, and have any idea of where they came from..

Thanks..

Dennis

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ebay Studebaker C Clamp - Lost for $21 on 1-25-16.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	1750471
    Last edited by Dennis L. Henry; 02-25-2016, 04:08 PM. Reason: * changed to 8

I gave my dad one several years ago as a father's day gift. They surface from time to time, but they don't seem to be all that common. I would be interested to see what information you find.
    1947 Studebaker M-5
    1946 Studebaker M-5
    1948 Studebaker Land Cruiser
    1961 Studebaker Lark 4-dr. Sedan
    1951 Studebaker Land Cruiser

Comment

Just a thought.But it could be forged in house for in house use.Its not unusual for a plant that has a forge shop to forge some of the tooling it uses.I know the shop I worked in,forged its own key drivers(used to drive keys when taking out and installing forge dies in the drop hammers)allso parts to make tongs with.

Comment

61LaRk4dr: Where did you manage to find yours? Is it the same size as the one above ~5" opening? What's odd is this one was a random find in South Bend, two more are apparently in Mishawaka currently. That's an awfully small world for these so appear in...

Comment

Originally posted by Chipmaker View Post
          Just a thought.But it could be forged in house for in house use.Its not unusual for a plant that has a forge shop to forge some of the tooling it uses.I know the shop I worked in,forged its own key drivers(used to drive keys when taking out and installing forge dies in the drop hammers)allso parts to make tongs with.
          Chipmaker, I've see the same thing in a few places as well. One foundry that Cummins uses has as a "graduation project" for their pattern makers to build a pattern that can be used by the company as both a holiday / celebration gift for all emploeyes, as well as something to give to customers..

Comment

Here are the several C-Clamps and details I've been able to find on the web..

July 2008 - (Worthpoint) eBay listing (no picture) - 5" Studebaker C-Clamp "...came from a recent estate sale in the South Bend area...."

March 2013 - Repocast - Byron Center (near Grand Rapids) internet auction listing: Studebaker c-clamp (looks to be a 6-1/2" version) with broken screw, listed with another non Studebaker marked c-clamp (picture truncated).

Name:	Studebaker C-Clamp broken screw.jpg
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	1704020

January 2016 - eBay listing (my clamp listed above from my dad's estate through President8 back to me) - 5" Studebaker C Clamp (picture in first post on this thread)

January 2016 - Buya internet sale listing - From a Pawn Shop in Mishawaka - 2 Studebaker 6-1/2" c-clamps

Name:	Studebaker C-Clamp 2x more in Mish LWE.jpg
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	1704021

February 2016 - Online sale site - 2x 6-1/2" Studebaker c-clamps located in Mishawaka (this add appears to be the same c-clamps listed on the Buya listing but for sale at 2x+ the price)

Name:	Studebaker C-Clamp  2x Mish.jpg
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	1704022

Comment

My guess is very early studebaker, like wagon use. since they are all close to South Bend, i suspect workers carried some home.
              101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis L. Henry View Post
                61LaRk4dr: Where did you manage to find yours? Is it the same size as the one above ~5" opening? What's odd is this one was a random find in South Bend, two more are apparently in Mishawaka currently. That's an awfully small world for these so appear in...

Hello Dennis, I found it on eBay. I thought it was a little odd at the time, but since it said STUDEBAKER how could I go wrong? The one you have pictured is the exact same.
                1947 Studebaker M-5
                1946 Studebaker M-5

Comment

Originally posted by 61LaRk4dr View Post
                  Hello Dennis, I found it on eBay. I thought it was a little odd at the time, but since it said STUDEBAKER how could I go wrong? The one you have pictured is the exact same.
                  Would the 2008 eBay listing above be approximately the right date? Do you remember approximately where it was shipped from? Thx, Dennis

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis L. Henry View Post
                    Would the 2008 eBay listing above be approximately the right date? Do you remember approximately where it was shipped from? Thx, Dennis
                    No, it was sometime earlier, probably more around 2001-2002.
                    1947 Studebaker M-5
                    1946 Studebaker M-5

Comment

Did it appear or come from the South Bend area or ?

Thanks ..

Comment

Working...
                      X