Watercooled stude Transmission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watercooled stude Transmission

OK Is there a link I can go to find out about the watercooled transmissions? [:0]

Had a 50 packard once.

Probably not, you need the Studebaker shop Manual and the '59-'64 Studebaker Chassis Parts Catalog will also help to determine which parts are different.

If you have any info like an old 1960's Motors Auto Repair Manual (from a Library if necessary) the info on the Studebaker Borg Warner Flight-O-Matic Trans. covers most of what you want to know.

All of the vehicles with the Heavy Duty Flight-O-Matic or the Power Shift (floor Shift) have the cooling lines: Avantis, Taxi Cabs, Jet Thrust Avanti Powered Lark Types & Hawks, Trucks and special order vehicles had the cooling lines to the Radiator bottom tank and back, and OIL flowed through them to help the air cooling system cool the trans. for heavy duty usage.

The Transmission CASE has the fittings on the right side, near the front, and is the main difference between air cooled and water and air cooled.

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Probably not, you need the Studebaker shop Manual and the '59-'64 Studebaker Chassis Parts Catalog will also help to determine which parts are different.

If you have any info like an old 1960's Motors Auto Repair Manual (from a Library if necessary) the info on the Studebaker Borg Warner Flight-O-Matic Trans. covers most of what you want to know.

All of the vehicles with the Heavy Duty Flight-O-Matic or the Power Shift (floor Shift) have the cooling lines: Avantis, Taxi Cabs, Jet Thrust Avanti Powered Lark Types & Hawks, Trucks and special order vehicles had the cooling lines to the Radiator bottom tank and back, and OIL flowed through them to help the air cooling system cool the trans. for heavy duty usage.

The Transmission CASE has the fittings on the right side, near the front, and is the main difference between air cooled and water and air cooled.

StudeRich
      Studebakers Northwest
      Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Not much to look at, just a oil line in and out of a coil at the bottom of the radiator.

JDP/Maryland
        63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
        spent to date $54664,75
        64 R2 GT (Sid)
        spent to date $62,439.30
        63 Lark 2 door
        51 Commander
        39 Coupe express
        39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

Not much to look at, just a oil line in and out of a coil at the bottom of the radiator.

JDP/Maryland
          63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
          spent to date $54664,75
          64 R2 GT (Sid)
          spent to date $62,439.30
          63 Lark 2 door
          51 Commander
          39 Coupe express
          39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

I have a j-peg picture of a 57 golden hawk transmission with same, and the 2 cooling lines to rad.E mail and i will send pictures.

gh

Comment

I have a j-peg picture of a 57 golden hawk transmission with same, and the 2 cooling lines to rad.E mail and i will send pictures.

gh

Comment

Working...
              X