Shorty Exhaust Header Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust: Shorty Exhaust Header Question

Over on "Racing Studebakers" I have a thread on building a shorty block hugger tube exhaust manifolds emulating the cast iron R3. Here is my question, "Is it necessary to make the outlet as short as the R3?" Would a modern three bolt flange / donut gasket be preferred? Looking for input.

JK

I have been following your progress. And this is just my observation, others may differ, according to their fabrication skills and equipment.
    I see that you have constructed a jig based on the R-3 cast headers. If you decide to conform to the OE dimensions and original flange layout, it will allow the reproduction R-3 stainless steel head pipes as available from Don Simmons to be a simple bolt on.
    This may or may not be desirable to some depending on how 'radical' they wish to go. I have a complete 2 1/4" 'R-3' headers and stainless system that I haven't got around to installing on my '64 Daytona.
    What I noticed right off is that the cast headers only have a 2" outlet, and Don necks his 2 1/4 head pipes down to fit. (of course the 'regular' 2" system would not need this) As I recall, Don said even a 2 1/2" system could be fitted _but a be lot more labor and $$$.
    I don't recall what sizes the PSMCD winning Studes are using.

So we come to what size of outlet you plan to have on your fabricated headers. Looking at my R-3 castings it appears that there would (barely) be enough material to grind out the outlets to an actual 2 1/4" and with a little welding replace the necked down area on the Silvertone head-pipes. (not really hot on ever doing all this)
    Of course with custom fabricated headers, a longer collector, larger exit, and a modern three bolt flange / donut gasket would seem the desirable way to go, because it would allow the use of any reasonable sized head pipes.
    But then you may run into the constraints of fitting, and making collector 'adjustments' to accommodate the various body/chassis combos. But it will be great to finally have something readily shelf available and adaptable, which we can easily tailor to meet our specific needs.
    Last edited by Jessie J.; 02-22-2016, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Here is the link to the thread over on Sonny's Racing Studebakers Site....

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Jessie,

Thanks for your thoughts. I had a conversation with Jeff Rice over the weekend and he also is thinking a more modern flange would be a better idea. I am leaning towards a 2.00", 3-bolt donut style flange for this first set if I cannot stay within the stock R3 foot print. Even if I can stay in the stock footprint the 3 bolt would be my preference and a 2.25" can be as easy as trim back or swage the 2.0" collector. The collector vendor offers the option. Time to do more research on the availability of a loose type, 3-bolt, 2.25", stainless steel flange for the mating head pipe.

Jeff,

Thanx for posting the link.

JK

Comment

Working...
        X