Foot Starter Switch Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Foot Starter Switch Question

My 1949 2R5 has an after market universal starter switch. I found a foot starter switch (from SI), and installed it. When I use the clutch the tab hits that switch every time. It does not hit hard enough to engage the switch, but I worry about accidentally engaging the starter if I were to wire that switch into service.

I know it works for other people, so am I overthinking this? Thanks.

It usually takes a pretty hard push all the way to the floor, depressing the Clutch you do not push that hard and stop at the switch, no problem when you get used to it, try it out.

If you don't like the Clutch action, adjust it to lesson the free travel and release farther from the floor.

To Drive it with the Starter when it vapor locks in the middle of an Intersection, just put it in Gear and push the Starter Button with your Foot instead of the Clutch!
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks, Mr. StudeRich. I will wire it up and see how I like it. I like the alternate starting procedures. I had to give up my 1957 Buick that starts with the gas pedal, but it was fun when I had it. I still have my 1950 GMC that starts with a pedal to the right of the gas pedal. Having my 2R5 start with the clutch pedal will be fun. Nice variety.

Comment

Robert,
        When I first started driving my car I was freaked out by the same thing. But in practice it seems totally natural. The only time I have accidentally tried to start a running engine is a couple of times while backing out of a tight spot. You learn not to brace yourself with the foot on the clutch pedal!

Comment

Working...
        X