Oil Shelf Life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Shelf Life

Does motor oil have a shelf life? The reason I asked is that I have an unused 5 quart jug of Walmart synthetic oil that I can use in my 1995 Dakota for the next oil change. It has been sitting in my garage for at least 15 years.

There may not be a shelf life, per se, but what happens is the compounds might separate over time, but I would think shaking it up should take care of that. What definitely changes, is the service classification. I think that as long as the service classification is at least that of the truck's requirements, you should be good to go.

If you're not sure, use it in the lawn mower.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
      There may not be a shelf life, per se, but what happens is the compounds might separate over time, but I would think shaking it up should take care of that. What definitely changes, is the service classification. I think that as long as the service classification is at least that of the truck's requirements, you should be good to go.

If you're not sure, use it in the lawn mower.
      I figure that the service classification is probably okay for his truck, since his truck is about six years older than the "oil" (truck is 21 years old).

In my opinion, there is less chance of a problem with a synthetic than with real oil.
      I do agree that the additives are where a problem may lie, if they might break down over time. Storage conditions may play into this. Is the garage climate controlled?

With all said, I would not use it in any vehicle that I cared about.
      Last edited by studegary; 02-23-2016, 01:03 PM. Reason: change . to ?
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Most of the oil companies say that the shelf life of engine oil is 5 years. That may be a blanket statement which covers the worst storage conditions. I would think if oil is stored in a climate controlled area, the shelf life could be quite a bit longer. I know with piston aircraft engines, the oil has a use by date stamped on the bottles which is 5 years. Bud

Comment

The garage is attached to my house and doesn't see extreme temperature swings even though it is not climate controlled. I will probably use it. Thank you for your input.

Comment

Spent a long time on the shelf (way down underground), too...

OK, funny ha ha....

5 years, according to Mobil.

Mobil Commercial Lubricants provides innovative solutions to advance your business. Select your region and find more about our products and services in your market.
            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

If you store it in oak barrels the taste and color improves greatly after eight years.

Whiskey Barrel, Kentucky Barrels, Kentucky Whiskey Barrels, Kentucky Bourbon Barrels, Kentucky Wine Barrels, KY Bourbon Barrels, Whiskey Barrel Rental, KY Whiskey Barrels, Kentucky Whiskey Barrels, whiskey barrels for sale, whiskey barrels for rent,
              sigpic
              Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Comment

I like the fact that they have rental barrels available!

Originally posted by Lark Parker View Post
                If you store it in oak barrels the taste and color improves greatly after eight years.

http://www.lexingtoncontainercompany...d-Barrels.html
                HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I had the same dilemma as I have a lot of oil stored on shelves in the original cans(some both metal and cardboard). I spoke with an expert who has his own brand of specialty oil for our classic cars with more ZDDP than standard. He told me that as long as you turn the cans periodically the additives will stay mixed accordingly. Of course do not use them in newer vehicles as Gunslinger states because their requirements are entirely different but for our oldies, no problem. For example, Dodge's SRT 6.1L requires only Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 0W40. Also as Gunslinger states, use it in equipment not so special.
                  Bill

Comment

Well, my little Dakota has the 2.5 L. SOHC 4 cylinder engine and is the vehicle I use for most of my running around town. The engine was rebuilt 3 years ago and has been fairly dependable. After reading the Mobil Oil information I think it will be okay to use the oil in question. I usually try to change every 3K. miles. Thanks for everyone's input.

Comment

A couple of thoughts: I would doubt that the petroleum portion of the oil would be affected but the polymers that are used to modify viscosity could be affected. Nothing good happens when polymers coalesce unless they are being used for coatings et. cetra and that's probably what is collecting at the bottom of the container. The worst that, I would expect to happen, is the viscosity would not be as advertised.

The viscosity change may be acceptable in older cars but not the new ones.

A quick reason, I belong to a couple of Ram Truck sites and one topic of discussion is oil viscosity. Ram suggests that 0W20 wt only be used in the newer 5.7 Hemi's and the folks on the forum seem too agree that if you go out of that viscosity range that the system senses the viscosity differences and changes engine control parameters to account for the change. And generally not for the better . Just the messenger here but, personally, I'd just take anything over five years or longer to a local auto store for disposal and use new, but that's just me.

Comment

2 years ago I bought 140 quarts of 10W30 oil a guy had stashed in a storage unit that came from a c-store he had closed 15 years ago.
                        I've used it in all 4 of my vehicles and had no incidents.
                        I will add that the my vehicles have odometers that read from 193,000,218,000,248,000 and 336,000 miles so they are nowhere near new.
                        Perhaps with that many miles they are happy to have any oil at all in them.
                        I also bought 10 cases of 20W50 and the drag racers who bought some from me have not had any issues.
                        Could be dumb luck,I don't know.
                        Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

I had to get rid of some Sta-Bil...because it was out of date.

Yes, Irony is alive and well in America, though many don't seem to get it.
                          63 Avanti R1 2788
                          1914 Stutz Bearcat
                          (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Originally posted by lark55 View Post
                            Does motor oil have a shelf life? The reason I asked is that I have an unused 5 quart jug of Walmart synthetic oil that I can use in my 1995 Dakota for the next oil change. It has been sitting in my garage for at least 15 years.
                            I raised this question on the Forum a few years ago and got no response. My problem was- I had two five-quart cans of 30 weight Studebaker oil. They had to be around 50 years old. One was starting to seep a little from rust at the rim. I finally gave up and emptied both cans in to clean glass containers and used the oil in my Gravely tractors. The oil seemed darker than modern 30, but the tractors were OK with it.
                            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Not too many years ago, at work, I needed a quart of oil. All that was available was an old can of 30W Oilzum, made sometime before 1970, so it was at least 26 years old, maybe more. Maybe much more.

No problems.

Comment

Working...
                              X