63 daytona lark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 63 daytona lark

just bought a beautiful 63 Daytona convertible how ever the dash is in bad shape does anyone know where I might be able to purchase one ? thanks in advance.

If you're not a die hard originalist, a 64 is easier to find in nice condition and is a bolt in. You may consider that as an option till a pristine 63 can be located.
    sals54

Comment

66's are even nicer and bolt right in.
      Candbstudebakers
      Castro Valley,
      California

Comment

Dick Steinkamp had the dash in his 1963 Wagonaire reupholstered with matching vinyl. Studebaker International used to offer hard plastic replacement caps, but I guess they are no longer available.
        Can your damaged dash cap possibly be patched? Fill in the cracks and color match with paint?
        Do you have any photos of your car to share? I really like the 1963 Daytona convertibles. What color is your car and what features does it have?
        sigpic
        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by arkie View Post
          just bought a beautiful 63 Daytona convertible how ever the dash is in bad shape does anyone know where I might be able to purchase one ? thanks in advance.
          Contact Just Dashes [ http://www.justdashes.com ] in Van Nuys, California. They are not cheap, but do first quality work.
          Lew Schucart
          Editor, Avanti Magazine

Comment

i'm old school and not good with sharing pictures but if it can be done I will do it ? its beautiful has the 4speed on the floor and Avanti 289 painted back to original color ,back to dash . not real bad will try what you said until I can
            maybe get one or have upholster shop do something ? thanks

Comment

I don't think you'll be disappointed in the later dashes. 64 65 or 66 will all look great in the car for now. Who knows? You may decide to keep it in there even when a nice 63 shows up. The later dash looks better, in my opinion.
              sals54

Comment

Wait a Minute, so this is a '63 Lark Daytona Convertible with a Factory? Jet Thrust R1 (Avanti) 289 Engine?

If you give us the Serial Number of the Car from the Door Post, we could find out how it was originally Factory equipped.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

the # on the door post is (63v32697 ) will have some pictures as soon as I find out how ?

Comment

63V32697

R1, 4 speed, bucket seats, no disc brakes, no twin traction, color - Blue Mist, engine #JT1840.

Looks like it was on eBay back in July of 2005 and located in Missouri.

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
                      I don't think you'll be disappointed in the later dashes. 64 65 or 66 will all look great in the car for now. Who knows? You may decide to keep it in there even when a nice 63 shows up. The later dash looks better, in my opinion.
                      Although the Vanity feature in the '63 models was the most unique and interesting. The so called vanities '64 and up were merely a slide out mirror. The '63 Vanity by comparison was like a picnic table! And way before cars had to have multiple cup holders.

Comment

yes that is the car. I bought it at auction at hot springs village ar a couple of months ago . it looked like it had been
                        painted red at one time from the pictures that were in the truck but the new owner had had it painted the blue mist
                        and he said it was 80 percent restored ? it does look good and he said it has always been garaged? I will have pictures soon,

Comment

Yes, the later dashes bolt right in but will not have the "Vanity" glove box. Depending on how bad it is, some folks have had good results with a franchise group called Fibrenew. Just Dashes as Lew mentioned. Good local shops can stitch vinyl overlays. There is also a slight chance that Starlight Studebaker may have found some original dash covers as they continue to sort through their acquisition from Sasco and Phantom.
                          Brad Johnson,
                          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

As nicely equipped as this car is, I would keep a 1963 dash in it. Does anyone know who made the molded plastic dash covers that Studebaker International was selling a few years ago?
                            sigpic
                            In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

I believe the reason that Studebaker International ran out of the 1963 style thermoformed dash overlays is they intend to tool up a correct padded dash covering in the original style. These projects take time and money so there may have been some delay - only they can answer that question.
                              They have tooled up to provide correct '61 - '62 dash covering as original, something they had previously supplied as thermoformed overlays. So we can be thankful they are risking their money on these projects so that we may have the needed parts. And we need to recognize they need to get a return on their investment.
                              So, hopefully, new '63 padded dash coverings are on the horizon.

Comment

Working...
                              X