Carter 'Glass Bowl' Pump Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Carter 'Glass Bowl' Pump Rebuild

Has anyone used a fuel pump rebuild kit from SI recently?....I just went through a non-R series Carter glass bowl V8 pump, and noticed the "in & out" valve retainers included with the kit were brass rivet-like 'stands', as opposed to the factory cone-shaped valve retainers...The factory valve retainers also have small ports in them to hold back any large debris that may enter the pump.

I went ahead and used the brass T-shaped stands that came with the kit....but I was tempted to re-use the factory cone shaped retainers as they looked a bit more substantial.

Any thoughts on this? (I haven't installed this fuel pump yet)

I haven't Ed, but will be real curious as to feed back about this.
    Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

For what it's worth, I reused the retainers.

The old, toad stool looking retainers drove out nicely and so I drove them back in. It has been pumping nicely.

Charlie D.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6738.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	1703981

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie D View Post
        The old, toad stool looking retainers drove out nicely and so I drove them back in. It has been pumping nicely.

Charlie D.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]51730[/ATTACH]
        I expect that this pump will work OK, but I almost reused the original retainers also.....mainly because the new replacements seemed so different.

Comment

They are Brake Lining Rivets. The Kit Mfg. "The Cellar" told me that the "New" Carter Co. would not allow the Original design to be copied, but would not and do not wish to sell any Parts or Patents for the Real Carter Co. produced Fuel pumps.

Corporate buyouts.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Are kits currently available with alcohol-resistant diagrams?

Comment

I ordered mine from Then and Now Auto. The rubber parts are Nitrile which I think is alcohol resistant. For my application it was kit CK-103. They said the stone filters were getting pretty hard to find so they included a screen filter to replace it.

Charlie D.
              Last edited by Charlie D; 02-23-2016, 08:10 PM.

Comment

I appreciate the tip, Charlie D. Thanks.

Comment

You didn't ask me but yes, I stock those kits.

Comment

Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
                    You didn't ask me but yes, I stock those kits.
                    Thanks for alerting me that you have those. I Got a kit from Antique Auto Cellar (or something like that) a number of years ago that's still in its box. Suppose using it with current fuel would be asking for trouble...?

Comment

if your rebuilt pump fails to begin pumping soonest a squirt of wd40 on check valves will speed process. seems new valves wont seal on old surface unless wet.BTDT,Luck Doofus

Comment

Originally posted by doofus View Post
                        if your rebuilt pump fails to begin pumping soonest a squirt of wd40 on check valves will speed process. seems new valves wont seal on old surface unless wet.BTDT,Luck Doofus
                        Good tip!

Comment

Working...
                        X