Photo Request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photo Request

HELP Please!! I need a picture of a C-body door sill scuff plate installed. I replaced my door sill sheet metal as part of the floor board replacement. Didn't get any photos of the original scuff plate installed, so now I don't know where to position the new scuff plate.

Thanks
    Wayne
    Wayne
    "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

As far as I know, they can only go in one way. The front edge is almost straight while the rear edge has a distinct angle.

Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

That is a very different scuff plate from mine. The plate for my 61 Hawk is much narrower than that one. Anyone have a pic of a 61 or similar installed? My scuff plate is not wide enough to cover the entire sill. I am not sure if it mounts out toward the outside edge of the sill or if it is set back to the inside of the car.
      Wayne

sigpic

Comment

Wayne,

I'll look at mine and see if I can get a picture unless someone does that first (working right now). I 'll say this for now, however, you will have to make holes in the plate and or the sill. I assume the rug is already down. DO NOT DRILL THROUGH THE RUG YOU WILL CAUSE A RUN IN ABOUT A TENTH OF A SECOND AND RUIN THE RUG. Gee think I did that???

Comment

Is the rug supposed to be UNDER the sill plate on a 63 Hawk? Mine isn't, thought I read somewhere this was correct. Doesn't make sense tho.

Comment

If an Upholstery Shop custom made a replacement Carpet, I could see how they COULD hem the edge and fit it right to the sill plate.
            But a Factory correct Carpet would at least allow the Plate to catch SOME of the carpet if not all, since it's purpose is to hold it down.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Was there a time before or after, when the carpet was laid over the sill rather than under? Points were deducted on my '51 at Lancaster because I had the carpet screwed under the sill.
                Without intent to hijack the thread; remember, Wayne still needs pictures of the sill on a '63 GT.
                Brad Johnson,
                SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                  Without intent to hijack the thread; remember, Wayne still needs pictures of the sill on a '63 GT.
                  The 63 sill plate should have a curled edge that fits against the outer pinch weld of the rocker right next to the door weatherstrip with the carpeting underneath.
                  59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                  60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                  61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                  62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                  62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                  62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                  63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                  63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                  64 Zip Van
                  66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                  66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	stude sill plate.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	1703992 Wayne here is mine. I guess the best way to describe it is how Warren did above. The curled or beveled edge goes out and the straight 90 degree side holds the carpet. I guess you are moving forward.....glass, carpet just watch the nut behind the wheel.

Comment

Rockne 10, the carpet in my 51 is supposed to butt against the sill but
                      I have it screwed under the sill plate to keep it from moving around. I
                      don't show my cars so it doesn't bother me.

Comment

Thanks for the picture Jim. I appears from the photo that the 90 degree lip came out all the way to the edge of the channel that the door rubber sits in. Does the lip of the scuff plate drop down over the edge of the rubber channel or does it sit on top of that channel? I can't tell for sure from the photo because all your parts are too shiny and there was a lot of reflection in the camera lens. (shameless compliment as an attempt to get more info :-)
                        Wayne

sigpic

Comment

Here are information on scuff plates the wide older style from 56 manual and newer narrow stainless type from 57 Clipper manual
                          Attached Files

Comment

I think you said it backwards. On mine looking at the part holding it straight out at eye level I believe the edges are different. One edge is a sharp drop off (what I am calling a 90 degree bend). The other edge is more of a bevel or as Warren said a curl. The sharp 90 degree goes to the inside of the car and holds the rug. The bevel or nicer curl goes outside. Here's where I must admit my problems. I never noticed before (thanks Wayne) but the driver's side does what Warren said and actually drops down over the sill (body) and almost touches the rubber weather strip. I think that is correct. I see my other side sits on top of the sill and exposes the white paint on top of the weather strip channel. I think that is wrong. I must have had a problem on that side but don't recall. I probably drilled the hoes too far inside. Now when you see the car you can point and laugh. Mine came too long also so I had to cut it.

Comment

here are pics right side up
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X