Tach drive signal with Pertronix & MSD ignition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo / Tach / Gauges: Tach drive signal with Pertronix & MSD ignition

You should be able to hook the grey tach wire from the MSD to the distributor terminal of the sending unit.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Thanks Brad, that was what I figured I would try first. I don't like to burn stuff up if I don't need to.....

Comment

Is there some reason why you would run a MSD 6AL Box, a MSD Computer, and a MSD Coil if you already have a Pertronix Electronic Ignition?

I just drop the Module in the Dist. and call it done.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          Is there some reason why you would run a MSD 6AL Box, a MSD Computer, and a MSD Coil if you already have a Pertronix Electronic Ignition?

I want to change the tach sender on my 62GT with Pertronix ignition. Will the sender p/n 800009 from SI work or do I need something different? The tach works intermittently and I am hoping it is just the sender.

Comment

Because an MSD sends 500 volts to the primary side of the coil, and you get up to 50,000 volts out. (depending on the coil). Also below 3000 rpm you get 3 firings of the plug for up to 20 degrees of crank rotation. So there is less chance of a miss fire. A pertronix just replaces the points. It is not really much of an upgrade.
            Bez Auto Alchemy
            573-318-8948

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post

I only have the Pertronix ignitor, everything else is MSD... As I indicated, this is an R2 tach setup, not the regular tach.

Comment

Well, I replaced the old tach drive board with the new one, triple checked the four connections to make sure they are correct and reinstalled the unit (with proper shield grounds), using the MSD tach trigger. No response from tach when I started the car up, needle didn't deflect or anything. I can get the tach needle to deflect with a 1 1/2 volt battery so tach seems to be working. I haven't tried the original tach signal from the distributor, but I'm pretty sure the Pertronix output waveform won't be correct for the tach drive. Anybody out there been able to make their JT tach work with MSD and Pertronix stuff? Wish I had an oscilloscope and some info on how those signals should look...

Comment

Nobody??????

Originally posted by 63 R2 Hawk View Post
                  Well, I replaced the old tach drive board with the new one, triple checked the four connections to make sure they are correct and reinstalled the unit (with proper shield grounds), using the MSD tach trigger. No response from tach when I started the car up, needle didn't deflect or anything. I can get the tach needle to deflect with a 1 1/2 volt battery so tach seems to be working. I haven't tried the original tach signal from the distributor, but I'm pretty sure the Pertronix output waveform won't be correct for the tach drive. Anybody out there been able to make their JT tach work with MSD and Pertronix stuff? Wish I had an oscilloscope and some info on how those signals should look...

Comment

You may need this adapter. http://www.msdignition.com/product.a...723&terms=8920
                    Bez Auto Alchemy
                    573-318-8948

Comment

Thanks again Brad. Any idea which of the two configurations shown on the installation sheet apply to my setup?

Comment

The Pertrronix unit being a magnetic pickup, I would say the second configuration shown would be the one to use.
                        Bez Auto Alchemy
                        573-318-8948

Comment

Again, thanks Brad! I hate to "shotgun" electronics problems.....

Comment

Working...
                          X