Coupe Express values?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coupe Express values?

Found a 1937 CE this week, I don't know yet if it is for sale at any price, but I want to get an idea, based on what I know.

Unrestored, but solid body, runs and drives, but not tagged. Not much rust, everything is still there (per owner, I've only seen photos so far) Weak paint, surprisingly good chrome for unrestored, glass has some cloudiness.

What's a good ball park number to start working with?
    Ron Dame
    '63 Champ

One that sounds in similar condition in the last year or so sold for about $30,000 I believe. Seems like a lot but I think its correct.
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

$15,000 and up.
      Candbstudebakers
      Castro Valley,
      California

Comment

In the 2000 to 2003 period I traveled as far as Idaho from Florida just to retrieve the front clip to a 1939 CPX. In the course of 3 years I found (6) CPX from 1937 to 1939. Both a 1937 and 1939 I had were so clean and near mint condition that you could eat off the underside literally it was so clean.

Barn-fresh I found went from $2500 to $3500. One I retrieved from L.A. had a 327 engine in it but that was it and paid $15k with very nice body/marginal interior. The 1939 I bought I paid $17,000 for and regret parting with it as it required nothing and today is probably worth the $30 to $40,000 that some seem to get.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What you pay is what someone wants to sell it to you for. Thing is...you snoooze, you lose for someone else will find out about it but that is how it is meant to be. It has been described that we are nothing more than holders of items....whether a vintage vehicle or a piece of clothing. At some point we pass on to others with the knowledge that (1) we couldn't repair and keep it running, (2) old age and can't enjoy it or (3) that someone is better to have what we have and actually use it.

Sadly, a large percentage of people will mock you for the effort to find or sell something, knocking down your effort which in my book shows contempt/arrogance/ignorance and jealousy.

Enjoy the thought if you find one. The 1937 rides like a 1937....small compartment if you're tall but a sharp vehicle none-the-less!

Comment

Ron,
          Anything come from this opportunity?
          Just curious..
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Dame View Post
            Found a 1937 CE this week, I don't know yet if it is for sale at any price, but I want to get an idea, based on what I know.

Unrestored, but solid body, runs and drives, but not tagged. Not much rust, everything is still there (per owner, I've only seen photos so far) Weak paint, surprisingly good chrome for unrestored, glass has some cloudiness.

What's a good ball park number to start working with?
            Probably worth between 10-15K....always a plus it's original and hasn't been "boy racered"!!
            Last edited by SN-60; 03-19-2016, 10:24 AM.

Comment

Saw an all original complete '37 sell for $16k....... in 2005.
              Today's prices for a decent rust free/minimal rust J5 will be worth quite a bit more than the $15k Bob mentioned in post 3.
              Value is determined by the cancelled check.
              Hope they all hold their value.

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

It's NFS at any price, but has an interesting history. It was bought new in Asheville, and lived in the Leicester community, just NW of town it's entire life, never leaving the community. It was removed from regular service in the 1960's, but was occasionally driven on the farm ever since. The current owner is the nephew of the original owner, and is bringing it back to street legal. It's not been restored or rodded, nor does he plan to, and the patina is great. I think he will be a good care taker and owner. I left him an SDC application and a few Turning Wheels.
                Ron Dame
                '63 Champ

Comment

Would be great to have him as a guest at the Tri-State meet this September...

Originally posted by Ron Dame View Post
                  It's NFS at any price, but has an interesting history. It was bought new in Asheville, and lived in the Leicester community, just NW of town it's entire life, never leaving the community. It was removed from regular service in the 1960's, but was occasionally driven on the farm ever since. The current owner is the nephew of the original owner, and is bringing it back to street legal. It's not been restored or rodded, nor does he plan to, and the patina is great. I think he will be a good care taker and owner. I left him an SDC application and a few Turning Wheels.

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                  X