Studebaker Distributors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Distributors

What Are the applications for the Delco and Autolite distributors, is one used for a 6 volt system and the other just for 12 volts.

Also, how can you tell which is a 6 volt system!

thanks
    Charlie

The distributor doesn't care what the voltage is.
    Neither do the guts...points or condensor. I've got a 12 volt condensor in my 6V Conestoga...not a hint of dislike.

The two units were just made by the two diffewrent groups...for what ever Studes thought's were at the time. Most likely money!

Most (including myself) like the Delco.
    But either in good condition...will work fine.

Mike

Comment

I haven't looked real closely at the distributors, but on all of my old cars the V-8s use Delco Remy electrics and the 6s use Autolite, although I think the 62 6 cylinder has a Prestolite starter. They also used Motorola alternators. At least that's what I've seen on all those old clunkers I have setting around. They probably wanted to keep their options open in case one manufacturer wanted to cut them out. (Delco-GM, Autolite-Ford) I do know the 62 Prestolite wiper motor is an exact duplicate of the older model's Delco Remy unit other than the three prong wiring connector. Gets very confusing!!!

Comment

I had picked up another Lark, this one a 1960,6 cylinder,with a three speed.

Comment

Working...
        X