Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When you buy a car sometimes a surprise.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When you buy a car sometimes a surprise.

I've bought a couple of dozen used cars over 50 years and a few came with interesting junk.... Many came with misplaced tools. Many came with ear rings or other women's jewelry in/under the seats. I bought that '62 Lark Hardtop back in about '64. Had been owned by a small town bachelorette school teacher.. still wonder who she shared all those condoms with I found under the seat!

Not as sexy but the '55 Champion I just bought had the faux top of trunk spare tire piece from a Packard Hawk..... Don't think this was on any other Hawks.

The simulated Spare Tire was a 1958 OPTION, but don't tell SN60, he's not a believer of "Options"!
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by mmagic View Post
      I've bought a couple of dozen used cars over 50 years and a few came with interesting junk.... Many came with misplaced tools. Many came with ear rings or other women's jewelry in/under the seats. I bought that '62 Lark Hardtop back in about '64. Had been owned by a small town bachelorette school teacher.. still wonder who she shared all those condoms with I found under the seat!

Not as sexy but the '55 Champion I just bought had the faux top of trunk spare tire piece from a Packard Hawk..... Don't think this was on any other Hawks.
      A few years ago I bought a rust-free, but rough '65 Cruiser at a Sheriff's auction (for $125). It came with no keys, but I got the production order and had the keys cut. When I opened the trunk I found tools, clothing, several cans of Murphy Mart oil and other miscellaneous stuff. In the glove box I found a ticket stub from a Grateful Dead concert. I actually sold that on eBay.
      In another acquisition a man called me and offered me his '64 Challenger for nothing. I just had to pick it up (about 10 miles from me). Turned out he lived with his mother and she had passed away and his brother was coming to help clear out his mom's stuff. When I got there with my trailer the car was packed full of mom's stuff from the house. The other brother wouldn't let me have the car unless I accepted the load. I took it anyhow. I also had to accept and haul away a non-running Dodge Omni (also full of mom's stuff). When we unloaded the cars we found new clothing, household goods including a silver platter, many family pictures, and a prosthetic leg among many other things.
      Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Found an ornate 70's roach clip that had fallen down the defroster vent on a 1960 Lark parts car.

I can imagine a Cheech and Chong conversation about how it got there...
        Dan Peterson
        Montpelier, VT
        1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
        1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

Best thing i ever found was a set of stainless wire wheel covers in the trunk of a 51 Caddy convertible I bought. Sold them for an outrageous sum for the day of I believe $375.
          Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Two locals guys went on a binge one night-smashed the heck out of a Mustang hitting a bridge. About a year later that car was among a bunch of cars that those guys left behind their body shop when they went out of business.,I bought a few of the cars,including this wrecked Mustang. Cleaning the inside of the car with a shop vac and air hose,a blackened dried up human finger flew out of the defroster.
            Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Originally posted by 52hawk View Post
              Two locals guys went on a binge one night-smashed the heck out of a Mustang hitting a bridge. About a year later that car was among a bunch of cars that those guys left behind their body shop when they went out of business.,I bought a few of the cars,including this wrecked Mustang. Cleaning the inside of the car with a shop vac and air hose,a blackened dried up human finger flew out of the defroster.
              Wow! Had a very similar experience years ago!
              I had purchased a 1964 Buick Electra 225 from Mobil Oil Co. It had been a test bed car for testing new motor oils. There was a hole on the transmission hump for test equipment I would guess. Also it had a rubber floor covering instead of the usual carpet.
              I decided to replace the rubber mat with the correct carpet section. I went off to Flemmings Auto Parts near me and found the correct color and year carpet in a badly smashed 1964 Wildcat.
              After removing the sill plates and gas pedal, I gave the carpet a tug and out from under the front seat popped a mummified finger, what a creepy shock that was!
              sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
              Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
              "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

I've had my '58 Packard for several years now. Last week I decided to take a look at a few of the boxes that came along with it. The box gave me a clue~

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3390.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	1703893

I just had no idea of what was actually inside it~
                Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3389 - Copy.jpg
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	1703894 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3387.jpg
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	1703892

Pretty cool, eh?

StudeDave '57
                StudeDave '57
                US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                SDC Member since 1985

past President
                Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                San Diego Chapter SDC
                North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

What have i found, umm Money- yup, jewlrey- yup, drugs- yup, tools- nice SK socket set, snap on screwdrivers, drill bit set, knives. Old drivers license, SS cards, condoms and used band-aids- yup, no finger so far. Several rounds of ammunition, a " little-black book" from late 60's. Pack of Chesterfields, Camels, palmalls, etc. Several snake sheds, dead mice, rats, cats, gas tank full of wasps. NOS parts, tax returns,. Side note, friends bought a wood desk at an estate sale- something kept moving around inside behind drawers. Finally got drawers out- new in box gun from Sears with receipt 1937 or 1938. Friends bought beer fridge at auction. while hauling to truck a coffee can knocked open the back cover and fell out. Couple grand in cash and silver coins in the can. Almost always take "junk" offered- usually something of value if you look.

Comment

These are some great stories! I never found anything interesting in the cars Ive purchased, just the usual junk, worn out spare and a broken jack. My most interesting find was a rusted camshaft, rockers and several cans of seafoam in my Hawk when I purchased it.

Comment

The 1974 SAAB Sonnett had a little tin container hidden under the dash. I opened it and inside was a stash of weed.
                      "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

Working at car dealerships have found many of the above, no human parts though. My recent buy of the 41 Commander surprised me by having the original jack tools, some expired lottery tickets, and no money at all. What did surprise me was finding the brown kraft paper used to cover the door panels still under the window sills on 3 of the doors, and the same paper under the big grommets under the interior handles, which tell me those doors had not had seen any service for the past 75 years. I owned a 57 Cadillac convertible, believe it was one used on a lesser Bing Crosby movie, down in the spare tire well was a 1959 half dollar. That I kept, sold the car.

Comment

Just panties...grody ones at that
                          Ron Dame
                          '63 Champ

Comment

back in the mid 60s i bought a 59 plymouth two door hardtop in nice body condition but no engine or trans. at a police auction for $8.00 it set around for a year while i looked for an engine one day i pulled the rear seat and found 4 new tires deeper in was the engine and trans. for the car
                            Last edited by merv; 02-16-2016, 02:35 PM. Reason: wrong year
                            mervyn mundorf
                            63 avanti r2 4speed
                            83 avanti 20th ann
                            64 gt hawk r1 4speed
                            and others

Comment

Originally posted by mmagic View Post
                              Merlin, in the last week or so i believe someone was looking for a Packard Hawk trunk lid. it had another Hawk lid on her when he bought it. maybe he would be interested in it.

i think it was on this forum but maybe on Studebaker Addicts or Packard Studebaker Parts on Facebook.

unless you plan on keeping it, i'd think it would be worth a few bucks.
                              Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Working...
                              X