Shining Bumper Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shining Bumper Issue

I am having trouble bring this bumper back to life. The center piece shines OK, but not great. The outsides are foggy looking. The chrome is not cracked or peeling just cloudy. I tried steel wool and metal cleaner but it will not bring it back. Any suggestions? (yes this is from my 62 Volvo that I am working on at the same time as the 53 Commander)

51 Studebaker Starlight State Commander Coupe
    53 Studebaker Starlight Regal Commander Coupe
    62 Volvo PV544 Sport

The chrome may be gone and you are trying to make the nickel base shine. Nickel is silver but much duller then chrome. The chroming process for triple plating is cooper, nickel, chrome.
    sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
    1950 Champion Convertible
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
    1957 Thunderbird

Comment

What HE said ^^^^^^^^^^

Comment

Need a trip to the replater shop...and the bank.
        sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
        Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
        "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

I'm thinking the same, and it may be time for a rechrome. You could try buffing a small spot with SemiChrome, but if it doesn't shine up, then a replate is most likely the only solution.

Comment

We have a member who is a plater. Hopefully, he will see this thread and comment. My knowledge, of the plating process, comes from supplying customers with pumps and associated equipment. I may be looking at it wrong, but your bumper seems to have three distinct pieces. The shiny middle part could have been plated in a different vat, or by a different company. Like any process, chrome plating has a variety of issues that can negatively affect quality. Poorly grounded parts, contaminated chemicals, plate time, turbulence, Faraday cage effect, and parts hung too close. Most of these flaws I've observed, reveal themselves as spots, or splotches. I've rarely seen them as uniformly bad over the entire part. It could be that someone skipped a step, or didn't allow the parts enough time to gain appropriate chrome thickness. Like has been suggested, the thin chrome has worn or been polished away.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
            X