Some Questions before I start - Champion 54'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Questions before I start - Champion 54'

I have already posted some pics in the "new members 2016" thread: after more than 40 years in a barn, I am finally starting to restore my great grandfather's and later father's 1954 Champion 6cyl Coupe (Hard Top).

If I manage to organize transportation this coming week, I will start to disassemble the whole car in a few days.

I want to keep the car as original as possible (matching numbers etc.).

Q1. Are parts from well known vendors like stude ... intl original and what does NOS mean? Is it OK to use these parts in terms of originality?

Q2. Who of the members here do own 53 or 54 coupes? I am pretty sure that I will need some help one time or another (email/photos etc.).

Q3. Are there any international members who own these cars in Europe?

Thank you all in advance ..... be sure to hear a lot from me in the years to come!

PS. I have been a SDC member some 20 years ago ..... have to apply again!

NOS means "new old stock". In other words, genuine, new, Studebaker parts. Another term you see used is NORS, which means new old replacement stock -- parts made by Delco, Thompson, etc as replacement parts back when the vehicles were new. These are generally as good as NOS, but may differ cosmetically from NOS. SI and the other vendors often have both NOS and modern reproduction, plus maybe a little NORS stuff. Some of the reproduction stuff may be of questionable quality, but in some cases, it's all we have.

You can find out about local European chapters here:
    Skip Lackie

Comment

I'm an owner of a 54 Coupe, seen below. But I am not sure I'll be of much help in keeping any car, yours or any other, stock. I love them as hot rods too.
      sals54

Comment

Welcome Back to the SDC and to the SDC Forum Florian!

Glad to hear you are going to restore one of Studebaker's Greatest designs EVER.

Although Both the C & K Bodes are Sport "Coupe" Style, we try to refer to the Starlight Coupe as a "C" Body "Coupe"
        and the Starliner pillarless "Hardtop" as a "K" Body "Hardtop" to eliminate any confusion over which it is.

Then of course there is the Champion 6 Cyl. or Commander V8 difference, which effects mostly only the Drivetrain, Suspension, Steering and Brake Parts which are NOT the same between the two.
        Always be sure which you are ordering for and do not use "Part Names" which can vary, use the Studebaker 6 or 7 Digit Part Number.

We do have Members in Switzerland, Holland, Germany and the UK.
        Last edited by StudeRich; 02-14-2016, 01:33 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by austrian View Post
          I have already posted some pics in the "new members 2016" thread: after more than 40 years in a barn, I am finally starting to restore my great grandfather's and later father's 1954 Champion 6cyl Coupe (Hard Top).

If I manage to organize transportation this coming week, I will start to disassemble the whole car in a few days.

Q1. Are parts from well known vendors like stude ... intl original and what does NOS mean? Is it OK to use these parts in terms of originality?

Q2. Who of the members here do own 53 or 54 coupes? I am pretty sure that I will need some help one time or another (email/photos etc.).

Q3. Are there any international members who own these cars in Europe?

Thank you all in advance ..... be sure to hear a lot from me in the years to come!

PS. I have been a SDC member some 20 years ago ..... have to apply again!
          First thing you need to do is figure out what you have. It's either a coupe (C-body), or a hardtop (K-body). Depending on which NOS parts your inclined to use, they can be very good to use. Again, depending on what parts your inclined to need, used parts are good also. Some stuff, like interiors and rubbers just are not available in NOS condition, so some reproduction stuff will need to be used. I believe there is still a vendor in Belgium?

Second thing you need to do is join the SDC and obtain a roster. There are quite a few members in Europe and quite a few who are not members but own Studebakers.

Third thing, if you don't all ready have them. Get chassis and body parts manuals for the car. They are around $50.00 ea.

Well known vendors are fine, but keep in mind there are others out there as well. No one single vendor has every thing you may need. www.studebakervendors.com is a very good place to visit. There are lots and lots of vendors with lots and lots of parts there!
          Bo

Comment

WELCOME!

Here's an excellent article to read before beginning. And always! Brakes before engine; better no go than no whoa!

http://studebakerdriversclub.com/TechThings2do.asp

Originally posted by austrian View Post
            ..., I will start to disassemble the whole car in a few days.
            Please do a bit at a time, restoring and reassembling before moving to another bit. Take detailed photos before and during disassembly, and keep all your little parts (including hardware) bagged and labeled.

There are only three main numbers that will appear on your original production order: Serial number from plate on driver's door post, body tag from cowl under hood and engine number (this would be a stamping, not a casting). A copy of your original production order is available from the Studebaker National Museum. http://www.studebakermuseum.org/stor...uction-orders/

Who of the members here do own 53 or 54 coupes?
            I do and here is a link to many of my photos. http://s57.photobucket.com/user/rock...?sort=6&page=1

You will absolutely require the Shop Manual, Body Parts Catalog and Chassis Parts Catalog, as others have noted. In addition to the more expensive printed versions, they are all available on a single CD-ROM at a much lower price, just a bit more inconvenient to use.

Do join your local Studebaker Club affiliate to meet folks who have already been through what you are about to pursue; as well as the International SDC.

And lastly, there is no one on this forum who does not like progress pictures!
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Thank you all for your helpful input on this!!!

I already ordered the manuals etc. a few days ago on ebay.

Mine is a K Body - one of the reasons I want to restore it!!

I will get a report from the museum on VIN/engine no. - I will get the car into my garage tomorrow. Then I have access to it 24/7!

I plan to get professional help with engine, transmission, electrics and body. Fortunately, the body is in good condition. It has been "newly" painted 45 years ago, just before it has been stored inside.

You will definitely get reports and pictures on the way!!

Comment

@ rockne10: your pictures will be very helpful, thanks!!

Comment

I own a '54 "K" Champion Hardtop which I bought in 1996. It had sat dormant for 30 years and I restored it. I will watch for your postings and if I can be of any help along the way during your work, I will respond. I do agree that it's better to work on the car one system at a time than to tear it completely apart at the beginning.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                    Welcome Back to the SDC and to the SDC Forum Florian!

Glad to hear you are going to restore one of Studebaker's Greatest designs EVER.

Although Both the C & K Bodes are Sport "Coupe" Style, we try to refer to the Starlight Coupe as a "C" Body "Coupe"
                    and the Starliner pillarless "Hardtop" as a "K" Body "Hardtop" to eliminate any confusion over which it is.

Then of course there is the Champion 6 Cyl. or Commander V8 difference, which effects mostly only the Drivetrain, Suspension, Steering and Brake Parts which are NOT the same between the two.
                    Always be sure which you are ordering for and do not use "Part Names" which can vary, use the Studebaker 6 or 7 Digit Part Number.

We do have Members in Switzerland, Holland, Germany and the UK.
                    Great information (as usual) from Rich! I have held off commenting, because I wanted you to acquire useful information from others with similar vehicles. I really am pleased each time someone from another country joins our group and becomes active, not only in our discussions, but becomes a supporting member of the Studebaker Drivers Club! People, who know me, often bring up the subject of Studebaker in conversation. Yesterday, at church, before service began, I was among a group of friends having casual conversation. One asked me about my Studebakers. When I told them I was in the process of getting another engine ready to run, I got the usual, "Can you still get parts?" question. When I answered, "it is not as serious problem," and tried to explain the size and scope of the Studebaker organization (SDC), I attempted to communicate we are truly an international group.Instead, I could see their eyes glaze over. As if, they must think I came to church to lie and exaggerate. We here in the USA, seem to ignore that there are "other" parts of the planet where folks enjoy hobbies the same way we do. In fact, if I had told them we have a new member in "Austria"...most folks would probably ask if he had a pet Kangaroo...mistaking Austria, for Australia.

I'm eager to see pictures when you can post them. Also, before you completely dismantle the car for restoring...take your time, study it well, before you proceed. With what you've described, so far, it may not need that extensive effort. A complete tear-down might not be necessary. If, what we call, "fit and finish," on your car is good, it is possible that the most difficult part of the restoration will be getting that right (again).

It was difficult when the cars were being built on the assembly line. Hood, fender, door, and trunk lid alignment was a skillful art, and those on the assembly line with the talent to tweak and "get it right" were highly valued. If your trim pieces align properly, hood gaps are even, doors close good, etc...All these, desired qualities, are at risk when taking a vehicle apart. I'm not posting this to discourage you, but to caution you to not "over do," the job, making it more difficult than needed.

Again, welcome...looking forward to pictures and progress reports.
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Good luck in your adventure Austrian, here a reference to your post with pictures. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...897#post972897

As a thought, there are a number of references on the forum you will find interesting but are difficult to find using the forum search. Instead, use Google search with your question and it will generally lead you to the posts on the forum that apply.

Bet you won't pass many Studebakers on the road in your homeland. Welcome, Bob

Comment

@ jclary: thank you for your welcome and your recommendations on how to approach the job! This will certainly slow down my process of "getting it all apart"!

Here in Austria, I grew up with a Studebaker (actually two Studes) in the barn where we lived in the middle of Vienna! (a city of almost 2 million citizens and there still are barns in the outer districts!). My great grandfather purchased the car in 1956 - two years after its roll out. The first owner was from Salzburg.
                        When my parents took my brother and me on a trip to the US the first time in 1989 we looked for everything Studebaker and met some owners (one in L.A.).
                        I am in the US almost every year - next time I will look for Studes / chapter events etc. (this year I will be in San Diego in May).

@ sweetolbob: thanks for the tip with google - the forum really is tough to search!

Comment

You asked about membership in Austria I looked up in the current ROSTER and there are two persons in Austria who are members of the SDC (you being one of them).
                          There are 5 listed i Germany, 11 in France, 12 in Holland including Paul Dammes who is the International Director. If you do not have access to the current Roster l would suggest you contact Paul and he could appraise you of SDC members in Europe who you may solicit for Studebaker help or assistance. If you subscribe to the club magazine "Turning Wheels" you will see many of the vendors advertising.
                          Good luck with your project you have a very collectable vehicle.
                          sigpic
                          55 President Deluxe
                          64 Commander
                          66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

Thank you 2moredoors. I will contact Paul.

Comment

Remember in the Studebaker world we never talk about matching numbers as the big three people do.
                              The only important numbers that should match are the numbers on the title (owners registration) and the serial number on the data plate.
                              Here is a link to the Studebaker club in the Netherlands (only a part of it is Holland)

Robert Kapteyn
                              Last edited by rkapteyn; 02-15-2016, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X