1951 Studebaker front end upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: 1951 Studebaker front end upgrade

I have a 1951 Starlight and have converted the drivetrain.I have installed disc brakes and a Corvair steering box (went right in,kinda)..I'm now
    going to rebuild the stock front suspension (one thing has led to another) and am looking for any suggestions to improve it?

The Studebaker front suspension is excellent for its intended purpose. When done with fresh bushings, it'll ride nicely and track true. A major upgrade for me has been a larger sway bar. If you plan on lowering the front end to any great degree, you'll run into trouble. Stock or just slightly lowered front ends are easily done by cutting the front springs. Drastic lowering will create uncorrectable camber. (well, not easily correctable). I've found that a larger sway bar up front enhances the drivability tremendously.

sals54

Comment

Will do and thank you!

Comment

Great info!

Comment

A Corvair steering box? Those were designed for a lightweight front end. A "T-Bucket" front end weight is pushing the capacity of the box. Lots of info written about the light weight of this box. I hope you did not use the aluminum version (60 to 63), as they have split the cases under stress.

At least new Corvair boxes are available from Flaming River. Reversed also, like in "T-Bucket" use.

Flaming River - Classic Auto Parts - Vintage Automobile Steering Components - Steering Accessories - Electrical Components
          Frank DuVal

50 Commander 4 door

Comment

Working...
          X