Oldest surviving Roll Royce sells for $7.22M

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oldest surviving Roll Royce sells for $7.22M

A 1904 Rolls Royce (car number 20154) sold at auction for $7.22 million. At that price our Studes are bargains. The story is here:

Where I used to work years ago, we had a 1922 Rolls touring sedan. It was a blast to drive! Really really tall thing with wig-wag turn signal indicators that would pneumatically extend out on cylinders that were built into the upper WS frame.
    Basically burgandy with black fenders, huge running boards and lot's of nickel and brass brightwork. Black leather interior and a HUGE laminated wood steering wheel.
    Doggone thing really ran nice and was totally happy in modern traffic. We had it around for a couple of years until it finally sold. I was REALLY sad to see it go. Got to drive it quite a bit - even took my spouse to work in it on occassion. This was along about '75 or so and I think they were asking $12K for it then. Fact is, you could get a NICE classic Rolls back then for less than an upscale, new sports car. Of course, decent Studes could be had for a hundred bucks at the time - guess what I drove.[:I]

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Where I used to work years ago, we had a 1922 Rolls touring sedan. It was a blast to drive! Really really tall thing with wig-wag turn signal indicators that would pneumatically extend out on cylinders that were built into the upper WS frame.
      Basically burgandy with black fenders, huge running boards and lot's of nickel and brass brightwork. Black leather interior and a HUGE laminated wood steering wheel.
      Doggone thing really ran nice and was totally happy in modern traffic. We had it around for a couple of years until it finally sold. I was REALLY sad to see it go. Got to drive it quite a bit - even took my spouse to work in it on occassion. This was along about '75 or so and I think they were asking $12K for it then. Fact is, you could get a NICE classic Rolls back then for less than an upscale, new sports car. Of course, decent Studes could be had for a hundred bucks at the time - guess what I drove.[:I]

Miscreant adrift in
      the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Back in the fifties, when I was in Scouts, I used to get a ride to the meetings in a 1928 RR Town Car that belonged to the father of one of the other Scouts. After the meetings I would get a ride home in the Scoutmaster's RHC MG-T. That must be when I got the car bug.

Brad Johnson
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Back in the fifties, when I was in Scouts, I used to get a ride to the meetings in a 1928 RR Town Car that belonged to the father of one of the other Scouts. After the meetings I would get a ride home in the Scoutmaster's RHC MG-T. That must be when I got the car bug.

Brad Johnson
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Geeze: I scanned the thread's title and saw the $7.22 million figure and thought Nelson Bove had sold 64V19588; his Strato Blue R3 Commander! [:0] BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Geeze: I scanned the thread's title and saw the $7.22 million figure and thought Nelson Bove had sold 64V19588; his Strato Blue R3 Commander! [:0] BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

I looked at the title and thoiught someone was restoring a "cheap" Avanti..

63 Avanti R1 2788
                1914 Stutz Bearcat
                (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                63 Avanti R1 2788
                1914 Stutz Bearcat
                (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

I looked at the title and thoiught someone was restoring a "cheap" Avanti..

63 Avanti R1 2788
                  1914 Stutz Bearcat
                  (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                  63 Avanti R1 2788
                  1914 Stutz Bearcat
                  (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Working...
                  X