Two Studebakers at Canadian International Auto Show 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Studebakers at Canadian International Auto Show 2016

As part of an "Art and the Automobile" display section of the large Toronto show, and among such notables as a curved-dash Oldsmobile, a '29 L29 Cord, a '30 Duesenberg J, a '35 Chrysler Airflow, a '35 Auburn Boat-tail Speedster, a '38 Steyr, a '56 Lincoln Premiere, a '63 Riv and more, is a "style-setting" '53 STUDEBAKER Commander Starliner and a "Raymond Loewy-designed" '63 STUDEBAKER Avanti. The description in parenthesis is from the auto show advertising, not from me (we here know the full story on those cars). The time-line for the display is from the turn of the last century to the '70's.

My son Graeme is lucky enuff to get an annual VIP ticket (thru the Audi store he works for) for the nite before the show and he sent me phone pix last nite of the Ontario area cars. The lucky guy who owns the '53 (he has two matching Starliners!) also owns Graeme's former '64 Commander which he sold to buy our former Power hawk back (which l had sold when he was a youngster).

So, out of about 20 or so cars in that display, we have a really good showing. Don't know if there is any club info present but l doubt it since the display is sponsored by the Cobble Beach Concours d'Elegance put on each fall near Owen Sound, Ontario (sort of Canada's Pebble Beach), a very good event. Here's hoping that a number of people google Studebaker and find SDC.

The show runs Feb. 12th to 21st.
    Last edited by STEWDI; 02-13-2016, 01:14 PM.
    Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
    61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
    Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
    Ride me in a Studebaker"

Originally posted by STEWDI View Post
    As part of an "Art and the Automobile" display section of the large Toronto show, and among such notables as a curved-dash Oldsmobile, a '29 L29 Cord, a '30 Duesenberg J, a '35 Chrysler Airflow, a '35 Auburn Boat-tail Speedster, a '38 Steyr, a '56 Lincoln Premiere, a '63 Riv and more, is a "style-setting" '53 STUDEBAKER Commander Starliner and a "Raymond Loewy-designed" '63 STUDEBAKER Avanti. The description in parenthesis is from the auto show advertising, not from me (we here know the full story on those cars). The time-line for the display is from the turn of the last century to the '70's.

My son Graeme is lucky enuff to get an annual VIP ticket (thru the Audi store he works for) for the nite before the show and he sent me phone pix last nite of the Ontario area cars. The lucky guy who owns the '53 (he has two matching Starliners!) also owns Graeme's former '64 Commander which he sold to buy our former Power hawk back (which l had sold when he was a youngster).

So, out of about 20 or so cars in that display, we have a really good showing. Don't know if there is any club info present but l doubt it since the display is sponsored by the Cobble Beach Concours d'Elegance put on each fall near Owen Sound, Ontario (sort of Canada's Pebble Beach), a very good event. He's hoping that a number of people google Studebaker and find SDC.

The show runs Feb. 12th to 21st.
    Might just have to go and check that out! Thanks for posting that!

Comment

Roger, who owns these two Studebakers?

Stu Chapman

Comment

Cool beans, Roger; congratulations on the significant showing and representation. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Stu, it's Roy Ionson. He has a very nice collection, including a '64 silver convertible that used to belong to Art Unger!

Why - you thinking of opening up the purse strings? He knows what he's got!
          Roger Hill

Junior Wagon - "Junior"

Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

Oh! May be you just mean the two people with Studes at the show!! My bad!

The Avanti is owned by a Paul Ethridges (l'm not familiar with the name, sorry to say). Roy owns the two Starliners, one of which is on display.
            Roger Hill

Junior Wagon - "Junior"

Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

Working...
            X