Mid winter blues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mid winter blues

Well its now the second week of Feb. and I haven't had my GT out for a ride in over a month. We got blasted with over two feet of snow a couple of weeks ago and just when it was all but gone it snowed again today. I got the radio back from being repaired and I re-did the passenger door panel, still need to do the drivers side. I got the parts to repair the sun visors I just need a break in the weather so I can get the work done. Come on spring.
    I'd rather be driving my Studebaker!

sigpic

As usual, I drove my '83 Avanti to work this past Friday.....While I was there we received about 5" of new snow on the ground....Really glad I 'bit the bullet' and mounted my Firestone Winterforce tires on the car after work last Thursday night!!
    Attached Files

Comment

Drive them. If they get slopped up, clean them. In the event of an accident, fix them.
      Life is short. Wear your Hawaiian shirt.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Hawaiian shirt weather here today- hit 90 degrees this afternoon. I can see snow in the mountains although it may not last long with these weather conditions. Drove the 62 Cruiser to pick up the grandkids from school.
        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
        64 Zip Van
        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

we had about 4" last night in NY, it's all cleared up. I have been driving my truck so far most of the winter. The past 5 years have been pretty bad so this is the first winter I have been able to drive it. Should have known it was going to be a mild one because I bought a new snow thrower this year.

Comment

Winters here, are rarely harsh in any way many of you, further north, endure as a given. Several days ago, we had a snow event. Actually, a mixture of snow, sleet, freezing rain, and back to snow, that started after midnight, went on all day, and into the late night. Had it been all snow, we could have had an accumulation of over 8 inches. As it was, there ended up being about four or five inches of frozen precipitation. A couple of days later, it was shirt sleeve comfortable. Patches of snow and ice stayed in shady areas for about a week, and then it was gone.

Another "cold snap" made it over the mountains today. A few flurries, and there is speculation we could get another weather "event" soon. We live in a region where moisture from the Gulf of Mexico, and rogue cold Canadian fronts sometimes clash. Always "iffy" to predict. In our area...if you truly have "Mid winter blues"...better check your life...count your blessings...there's probably something else going on. The way I see it (at least here) we truly have four distinct seasons, each lasting just long enough for you to look forward to the next.

As for me...each year, the first promise of spring is announced by FROGS! Yep...FROGS...those lowly little amphibians. The little sticky tongued critters who shut up and disappear at the first sign of fall. Nearly every year, from early February to early April, you can expect a warm day or two. Late in the evening, I often take a walk around the pasture, my way of finding solitude, to unwind, and meditate. In that relative quiet, you will realize you are not alone, those little critters will form a choir, along the edges of the creek and swamp, down in the holler...celebrating the first warmth of the year, and announce that "spring" is around the corner. My wife and friends who don't have hearing as good as mine, never understand how I can get so excited about hearing a few frogs, off in the distance, in the dead of winter. But I do, at least once, every year.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by Warren Webb View Post
              Hawaiian shirt weather here today- hit 90 degrees this afternoon. I can see snow in the mountains although it may not last long with these weather conditions. Drove the 62 Cruiser to pick up the grandkids from school.
              Yep, dangit! The weather here is nothing short of ridiculous. Where's our rain,...?
              Then you watch the weather and there is some anus up there trying to say it's still coming.

Same thing they have been saying for six dry months.

Bring that car out here you can drive it all you want!!! It fer sure won't get wet!

Dean.

Comment

In Maryland they but down tons of road salt every time it snows. Even some modern cars show signs of rust in just a few years around here so my un-restored GT is staying put for the duration. She already has areas that need attention and I don't want to make things any worse.

sigpic

Comment

being a mainly so-cal boy (Pomona until 1980 then Hesperia until '86), i really miss the winter weather there - not much else of what's going on. i was in the Greensboro, NC area for around 12 years - hated the cold - then moved to Wilmington/Carolina Beach, NC area for 13 years. much milder. this past September i moved to Bahama, NC. it's out in the country about 12 miles NE of Durham and close to my daughter and granddaughter in Raleigh.

i had about the same situation as Mr. Clary but with about 3" of snow then about 1" of ice with another 3 inches of snow on top of that. i know i shouldn't complain about it since y'all get much colder, etc. up north.

i had to move the '51 Business Coupe out of the 'cave to do some needed maintenance on my '06 Volvo right before the storm started, so the '51 had to go outside for 2 days.

i got out the day after the storm stopped and got a pic - most had melted by that time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1-23-15.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	1703790
                  Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Originally posted by Corvanti View Post
                    being a mainly so-cal boy (Pomona until 1980 then Hesperia until '86), i really miss the winter weather there - not much else of what's going on. i was in the Greensboro, NC area for around 12 years - hated the cold - then moved to Wilmington/Carolina Beach, NC area for 13 years. much milder. this past September i moved to Bahama, NC. it's out in the country about 12 miles NE of Durham and close to my daughter and granddaughter in Raleigh.

i had about the same situation as Mr. Clary but with about 3" of snow then about 1" of ice with another 3 inches of snow on top of that. i know i shouldn't complain about it since y'all get much colder, etc. up north.

i had to move the '51 Business Coupe out of the 'cave to do some needed maintenance on my '06 Volvo right before the storm started, so the '51 had to go outside for 2 days.

i got out the day after the storm stopped and got a pic - most had melted by that time.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]51382[/ATTACH]
                    Great photo of a nice Stude.....could be a TW cover shot!

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                      Great photo of a nice Stude.....could be a TW cover shot!
                      Thanks. idk if the pic is "high resolution" enough. i took it on a 13 year old digital camera with around 1,000 pics on the card. i posted this pic a week or so ago on Facebook. Mr. Grant (aka: Madd Doodler) saw it and asked about it for next years calendar. i sent him the pic via email and the "properties" info. i haven't heard back. i need to study about "high res pic resolution" and at least get a new "card". my "new to me" Galaxy S6 probably would take better pics. i just have to figure it out.
                      Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

I've got the mid-winter blues, too! The snow has finally melted off the roads, but the Lark is outta commission; rebuilding the engine, getting the seats recovered etc. etc.
                        The plan is getting it on the road by the first day of Spring!?
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	lark project002.jpg
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	1703836Click image for larger version

Name:	lark project003.jpg
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	1703837
                        I know the inner fenders are supposed to be body color, but I plan on replacing the fenders and other misc. body work in a year or two.

Comment

We have had unseasonably warm and dry weather here the last week or so. I took my wife's Avanti out and washed it yesterday and we took it out for some errands today. I still can't believe what a wonderful car it is. Very few people here recognize it or care about it although we do get the occasional thumbs up. I have been surprised though by some architecture student who will tell me about what a great designer Raymond Lowey was. You just never know.
                          Rob

Comment

Yeah, the little green frogs are the heralds of spring here in Oak Run as well. We have been enjoying a couple of weeks of lovely weather. However, no frogs. They're out and about. However, no singing. So I'm guessing they're not fooled by a warm spell and expect more cold stuff soon. I too was trapped in So. Cal for thirty-five years after my Father died. Hated every day of it. I don't do well in the City. Finally made it back up to the Redding area in '03. Now, the state has become such a regulatory problem I am considering moving out entirely. Yeah, like that's news from me. But I degress...

Have actually been able to make some headway with the (new to me) little Larks. Found out the mice have thoroughly chewed the wiring on the blue sedan and it will have to be replaced. Am considering dismounting the engine and tranny and having both rebuilt in Redwood City (I so hate driving down there, the fellas are great but the Bay Area is a nightmare, honestly!) since I can't seem to get the contact info for Mr. Pyle in Medford (who also has the advantage of being about half the distance).

Corvanti, that is one beautiful Biz. coupe! The snow itself won't really hurt the car, I'm sure the old lady has seen worse in her years working on the road. Makes for a really beautiful picture though. Not hard to do with such a beautiful car!

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                            Ron Smith
                            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                              As for me...each year, the first promise of spring is announced by FROGS! Yep...FROGS...those lowly little amphibians. The little sticky tongued critters who shut up and disappear at the first sign of fall. Nearly every year, from early February to early April, you can expect a warm day or two. Late in the evening, I often take a walk around the pasture, my way of finding solitude, to unwind, and meditate. In that relative quiet, you will realize you are not alone, those little critters will form a choir, along the edges of the creek and swamp, down in the holler...celebrating the first warmth of the year, and announce that "spring" is around the corner. My wife and friends who don't have hearing as good as mine, never understand how I can get so excited about hearing a few frogs, off in the distance, in the dead of winter. But I do, at least once, every year.
                              We have the same thing here. We call them peepers ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring_peeper ) they usually show up about the 2d or 3d week of March, the first warm spell of spring. I look forward to it each year.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X