Are Avanti clutch and brake pedals same as a Lark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: Are Avanti clutch and brake pedals same as a Lark

I've given up trying to find a brake and clutch pedal assembly for a manual transmission Avanti. Missed one set in San Mateo, Ca., but needed to buy the car to get them!! The Avanti part numbers 1556028 and 1554070 are the Avanti numbers, anyone with a Lark parts book, that can check if they cross over to a Lark? Many more chances of finding them there. I am trying to round up parts to do a 5 speed conversion for my A/T Avanti.

I converted my '70 Avanti from automatic to a Doug Nash 5 Speed many years ago. I used the hanging pedal assembly from a Lark for both the clutch and brake and they bolted in perfectly and are in exactly the right location.
    Good Luck.
    Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
      I converted my '70 Avanti from automatic to a Doug Nash 5 Speed many years ago. I used the hanging pedal assembly from a Lark for both the clutch and brake and they bolted in perfectly and are in exactly the right location.
      Good Luck.
      Bill
      Thanks!! I thought they might work, now just need to find a clapped out Lark manual trans car or someone with left over parts.

Comment

Sure are a lot of guys sticking SBC and auto in Larks. Got to be a slew of clutch pedals around anyway.
        sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
        1950 Champion Convertible
        1950 Champion 4Dr
        1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
        1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Yes, Fred and you can use one out of a 63-4 T cab truck. That bolted right in my AVanti.

Comment

Hey Fred, I am pretty sure I have extra pedals and I'm right in Bridgeville !
            Kenneth Smolecki

Comment

Think I have a pedal assembly from an Avanti somewhere. Hard to believe a Champ or Lark assembly is a "bolt in"??????
              JS
              I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

Originally posted by KenS View Post
                Hey Fred, I am pretty sure I have extra pedals and I'm right in Bridgeville !
                Ken,
                Sent you a PM
                Fred

Comment

Originally posted by LarkTruck View Post
                  Think I have a pedal assembly from an Avanti somewhere. Hard to believe a Champ or Lark assembly is a "bolt in"??????
                  JS
                  Not really, cheaper to make one set of "hanging pedals" than rethinking it for each use--great thing about Studebaker-being broke, forced them to improvise.

Comment

1. I have a set of pedals and maybe some of the linkage if none of the previous pan out.

2. JMHO, but I wouldn't install the Lark/Avanti mechanical clutch linkage if someone gave me every piece for free. It's a kluge of a way to push a clutch and it's prone to failure. Consider using the pedal, but engineering a hydraulic master cylinder/throwout bearing instead of the mechanical linkage.

jack vines
                    PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                      1. I have a set of pedals and maybe some of the linkage if none of the previous pan out.

2. JMHO, but I wouldn't install the Lark/Avanti mechanical clutch linkage if someone gave me every piece for free. It's a kluge of a way to push a clutch and it's prone to failure. Consider using the pedal, but engineering a hydraulic master cylinder/throwout bearing instead of the mechanical linkage.

jack vines
                      Thanks Jack,
                      I was just looking for a way around building my own, definitely will go hydraulic, slipped the TO bearing arms on my 63 in 65, had to weld them in place after installing a HD clutch, so I know what you mean. Next to find: 1960-1960.5 T10 bell housing, a decent flywheel, and a manual trans nosepiece for the starter.

Comment

Fred, Don't cheap out, get the Quick time scatter shield housing.

Comment

Originally posted by karterfred88 View Post
                          Thanks Jack,
                          I was just looking for a way around building my own, definitely will go hydraulic, slipped the TO bearing arms on my 63 in 65, had to weld them in place after installing a HD clutch, so I know what you mean. Next to find: 1960-1960.5 T10 bell housing, a decent flywheel, and a manual trans nosepiece for the starter.
                          Check your PM.
                          sals54

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
                            Fred, Don't cheap out, get the Quick time scatter shield housing.
                            Thinking of it--but no way to mount rear engine mounts to the cross member as far as I can tell, not sure I want to span the front mounts all the way back to a rear mounted trans mount with Studebaker front engine mounts. My old 63 GT Hawk 289 4 speed, used them up every few weeks in 1965-got real good at replacing them in the street next to my parents house!! Even nicked the radiator core once on a hard stop after some street racing. Not much room under the hood of a R2 Avanti to sandwich something else in there, I don't like the look of chains and a bolt to keep the engine in place.

Comment

Fred, The quick time housing has the Stude mounts welded to the bottom of the housing, just use a stock Stude mount, like off a Lark or Hawk. The Avanti cross member has the holes drilled for it. And if you want more support I make a rear cross member that sits in the rear part of the X to support the 4th mount on the rear of a TKO 500 or 600.

Comment

Working...
                              X