38 State Commander keys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 38 State Commander keys

Can anyone tell me where I may be able to get key blanks for the glove box and door of a 38 State Commander. I have two ignition keys but they do not fit the door or glove box. The glove box is locked so I can't just pull the lock. Thanks Dave S

Most glove box locks pick easily. Can you drive the car to a locksmith?
    Frank DuVal

50 Commander 4 door

Comment

Originally posted by Frank DuVal View Post
      Most glove box locks pick easily. Can you drive the car to a locksmith?
      That is what I was going to do but I thought if I had blanks a locksmith would be able to make new keys. Just don't think a locksmith would have blanks for a car this old.

Comment

I can see it now...you find someone with the right key blank, take it to a locksmith, sensing you are desperate, he charges you the price of a set of tires, and cuts the key. Then you unlock the glove compartment only to find two spare sets of keys for the car.

Lucky you!
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I had an extra set of keys made for my 38 at the local key shop and they didn't have any problem with the blanks. The ignition key (which should be the same as your door) is ilco X1199AR also marked Y133. Sorry on the glove box/.trunk it is a yale blank but doesn't have any markings on it. I would be surprised if your glove box is actually locked, the glove box on my car is not easy to open - you have to push in while you try to pull back. Bet it you put some WD40 in it and try it might open - it is easier when you have a key to stick in the lock but it is probably not locked.

Studebaker International says to call on prewar locks. but I bet Bob at Joliet Studebaker will have some blanks - have you tried the Antique Studebaker site?

Good Luck

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
            I can see it now...you find someone with the right key blank, take it to a locksmith, sensing you are desperate, he charges you the price of a set of tires, and cuts the key. Then you unlock the glove compartment only to find two spare sets of keys for the car.

Lucky you!
            You will probably be right LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Cowtown Commander View Post
              I had an extra set of keys made for my 38 at the local key shop and they didn't have any problem with the blanks. The ignition key (which should be the same as your door) is ilco X1199AR also marked Y133. Sorry on the glove box/.trunk it is a yale blank but doesn't have any markings on it. I would be surprised if your glove box is actually locked, the glove box on my car is not easy to open - you have to push in while you try to pull back. Bet it you put some WD40 in it and try it might open - it is easier when you have a key to stick in the lock but it is probably not locked.

Studebaker International says to call on prewar locks. but I bet Bob at Joliet Studebaker will have some blanks - have you tried the Antique Studebaker site?

Good Luck
              Thank you - I will try it but so far it won't budge. I will try the local key place and if they do not have blanks I will try the above suggestions. Thank you dls

Comment

Get the factory built sheet from the museum and you will find the key number on there.
                Give the key number and I will see if I have one in the hundred or so numbered keys I have.
                Have patience because I have to have my son find them.
                studebaker@mac.com.
                Bob

Comment

Originally posted by rkapteyn View Post
                  Get the factory built sheet from the museum and you will find the key number on there.
                  Give the key number and I will see if I have one in the hundred or so numbered keys I have.
                  Have patience because I have to have my son find them.
                  studebaker@mac.com.
                  Bob
                  Wow, Bob that is a very generous offer. Thank you I will follow up onthebuild sheet right away Again,Thank you

Comment

Working...
                  X