Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Studebakers in Peril #4 (1933 in a whole lot of trouble (10-33)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebakers in Peril #4 (1933 in a whole lot of trouble (10-33)

In the 30s strikers were often met with hired gunmen carrying lots of heat. Unfortunately this new '33 Studebaker (at right) happened to be "in the wrong place at the wrong time." No way to know if it suffered any lasting damage but bullet holes are easy to patch? That is a ubiquitous Model A cabriolet at left.

Click image for larger version

Name:	riot car copy labeled.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	1750356Click image for larger version

Name:	riot car caption.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	1750357
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Alas, a lovely Studebaker with 6 wheel equipment. Is that Elliot Ness alighting from the '33?

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
    MELBOURNE.

Comment

Dick,

I think that this a still picture taken from the other side of the street from the newsreel footage that I have seen. The newsreel shows a 33, which is the only car visible on the street, as strikers walk down the sidewalk, breaking out all the windows on the lower level of the building. I think that his has to be the same event. Do you have any access to that newsreel?-Bill

Comment

No, I have the original newspaper clipping that I took from the roto section of The Chicago Daily News of June 1, 1935. It was a retro page of events of the past 4-5 years.
        Richard Quinn
        Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

I believe that picture shows up in a John Dillinger movie intro from the 70's.
          Gary Sanders
          Nixa, MO

Comment

Working...
          X