Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axle nut

Hi everybody

Started working on my 62 cruiser and figured i would start with the brakes, put it in the air and found the rear brake drums lose on the axles and one nut 1/2 way off. Took the drums off and found that the passenger side nut is cracked.

nothing else damaged, keys and key ways are good but the passenger side axle was hit with a hammer or something. i hand filed the threads and got the good nut to go on the damaged axle with little effort.

I am in need of a axle nut,

Would anyone here have one or be able to tell me where i can find one?

As far as installing the drums the axle and drum should be clean and dry and the nut torqued to 175 ft pounds. Would that be correct?

Oh and it has new rear brakes and wheel cylinders and i got the axle cleaned up so the day isn't a total loss. lol

thank you for any information.

You need 510516 Axle Nut, available New at Studebaker Vendors where ALL of your Parts should come from:

Be sure to install the Key bevel/taper, inboard, and Down, clean and dry!
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Yes SI has them, but buy a pair. My new ones did not match the original, different socket size, same threads, different length.

Comment

Thank you guys

Comment

I would call Midas to see if they would sell you one

Comment

I tried buying one locally; same thread and size, but the nut was too thick, thus the cotter pin could not go thru. Buy them from a Stude vendor!

Comment

While you are doing the rear brakes, pull the axels and repack the bearings.

Comment

so it is just 7/8 11 i bought a new nut locally but wouldn't thread on and the good old nut went on with out any problem. i need a thread file.

Comment

This is my tool of choice when it come to chasing threads on the axle or spindles. Over the years the abuse the axles take due to improper maintenance can leave the threads in sad shape. Especially the thread on the end get really bugger up due to guys striking the end of the axle while its unprotected with a nut. This tool allows you to start the chasing on the middle of the threads and working your way toward the end. if the threads are in bad shap you'll never get a standard thread die started. Click image for larger version

Name:	axle thread chaser.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	1703684

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
                  53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
                  57 SH (project)
                  60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

Thanks rusty, and i know what you mean with using a die, the drivers side is okay the passenger side should clean up with a thread file.

Comment

Originally posted by rusty nut garage View Post
                      This is my tool of choice when it come to chasing threads on the axle or spindles. Over the years the abuse the axles take due to improper maintenance can leave the threads in sad shape. Especially the thread on the end get really bugger up due to guys striking the end of the axle while its unprotected with a nut. This tool allows you to start the chasing on the middle of the threads and working your way toward the end. if the threads are in bad shap you'll never get a standard thread die started. [ATTACH=CONFIG]51239[/ATTACH]
                      Thanks for the post Russ...in all my years of tinkering, using, selling, and collecting tools...I mean, not just your average retail tools, but equipping entire industrial manufacturing corporations with, "top shelf" name brand industrial tooling...I have never seen this particular thread chaser. Although I can imagine some situations this one would be a problem due to available work-space, it could be fantastic where space allows, such as our axles.

A good thread chaser can re-align/re-form threads without removing much metal. A thread die and file, can re-cut the threads and remove metal, which affects the "percent of contact" between the shaft and nut (strength), and weakens the holding force.

Even if I never use it, I now have a quest to acquire, at least, one more tool.
                      John Clary
                      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post

Even if I never use it, I now have a quest to acquire, at least, one more tool.
                        I had exactly the same response.
                        Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                          I had exactly the same response.
                          Me three!

I have frequently thought about a tool like that, but could never find one commercially made. I always ended up with the crappy square file with threads of different sizes on each side.
                          Dis-Use on a Car is Worse Than Mis-Use...
                          1959 Studebaker Lark VIII 2DHTP

Comment

Me four!So where did Rusty buy/find/obtain it?
                            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Most of us older guys have an axle thread chaser like the one pictured. I dug mine out and checked and it was made by a company named 'LISLE'. A lot of the pre-fifties cars had tapered hubs and without the thread chaser you could figure on ruining a lot of axles. If you were closer you could use/borrow mine.
                              Hobert J. Shy
                              21103 Harriet
                              Romulus, MI 48174

Comment

Working...
                              X