Name:	2-1-2 007.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	1750314Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150904_180015288.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	1750315

I bought this pick-up over a year ago and finally decided a "tune up" was needed. My problem is when I go to the local FLAPS for replacement parts they keep coming up with points, cap and rotor that look nothing like the one's I have, (pic's are of existing parts). Motor came out of a 1963 R1 Lark, distributor is a single point. I need to know what year car for replacements parts, Any help will be greatly appreciated. (BTW I do plan to convert to electronic ignition soon )
    sigpic

Those parts are for a Delco distributor. They will not fit a Prestolite distributor which would have came in a 63 lark. Tell them you want tune up parts for a 55-61 studebaker V8
    Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
    1961 Hawk 4-speed
    1967 Avanti
    1961 Lark 2 door
    1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	2-1-3 001.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	1703628

Unclemiltie you were right on the money, went to Autozone and the young man behind the counter had never heard of Studebaker--- The Napa boys were much better!
      I got everything I need to get the fire going again--- Thanks so much to the forum and you guys with all that experience!
      sigpic

Comment

You're way better off with the Delco unit anyway -- it's probably in there because the original Prestolite unit croaked.
        Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by unclemiltie View Post
          Those parts are for a Delco distributor. They will not fit a Prestolite distributor which would have came in a 63 lark. Tell them you want tune up parts for a 55-61 studebaker V8
          Think your advice is 180 out? He has a Prestolite dizzy.

Comment

Or maybe I read the reply wrong and I'm 180 out? Either way he is square now.

Comment

Originally posted by kwoodyh View Post
              Think your advice is 180 out? He has a Prestolite dizzy.
              This Distributor shown IS an Early Delco Remy and those Parts if all were ordered for a Delco, basing on that Delco Rotor, all should fit fine.

These Distributors take the same Tune Up Parts from 1951 to 1959 and to 1961 on Hawks and are very dependable units, a version of which was used on all early '50's GM Cars, some with Clockwise Rotation reverse of Studebaker.

So if THIS is the Dist. being used in a '63 R1 V8 Engine, even though not original, I don't see a problem.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The parts were for a Delco unit, I kept telling him 1963-1962, I guess the prestolite's were introduced in those years, hence the previous parts not usable-- all is good for now!
                sigpic

Comment

Cool truck too

Comment

Didn't I tell you that over the phone the other night?
                    Candbstudebakers
                    Castro Valley,
                    California

Comment

Yes you did Bob.... the guy at the parts house had me spinning like a "doodle bug," he couldn't cross reference anything so I posted the pictures and sure enough the forum members came through--- thanks for your advice, it did help!
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X