column shift linkage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: column shift linkage

I have a 700R4 in the Hawk and have been using a totally ugly B&M floor shift unit. I would like to go back to the column shift and am wondering if anyone had used the Lokar column shift kit and if so there were any problems. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Don Watson
    61 Hawk

You can see how I did it in my Daughter's '59 Silver Hawk!!

Treblig

Comment

I am in awe of your skills, unfortunately I do not posses your skills and am faced with going after market of some kind. I just want it to look fairly original and above all work smoothly. The B&M shifter I have does neither.
      Don Watson
      61 Hawk

Comment

Here's a pretty good video that shows someone actually installing the lokar unit on a GM column. If you posted a pic of the lower part of your column I might give you better advice. I know I had to swap my column shifter lever because my original column had a cast iron lever. A metal (steel) lever gives you more option. Don't know what your column has for a lever??

treblig

I finish off setting up the Lokar tranny shifter linkage for the 4L60e.

Comment

I kept the column shift in the 63GT, when converted to a 700R, but it wasn't easy. I used the OEM column and shift lever at the bottom, but used a LoKar universal adapter on the tranny end. It required a bit of yankee engineering, but I do not recall the specifics. Bottom line, it is do-able.

Comment

Use the Lokar adapter.....many fine adjustments available. I've used them twice, loved them. tempestan

Comment

Thanks all, I will attempt to use the Lokar adapter.
              Don Watson
              61 Hawk

Comment

Working...
              X