55 hawk tail lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 55 hawk tail lights

Will tail light lens from 1955 hawk fit on 1953 champion starlite or do i have to change housings to. Try internet search. Found nothing or i miss it. Thanks

The 55 lens are a different shape, you will need housings also
    Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
    1961 Hawk 4-speed
    1967 Avanti
    1961 Lark 2 door
    1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Originally posted by unclemiltie View Post
      The 55 lens are a different shape, you will need housings also
      The 1953 lenses are easier to find than the 1955.
      I will trade
      Robert Kapteyn
      studebaker@mac.com

Comment

The 55 Hawk lenses will not fit...there WAS no 55 Hawk...

Comment

The housing for 55/56 was the same but the lenses for the 56 are different and because production for the 55 C/K was approximately 34,000 versus 20,000 for all Hawks, the 55 is easier to obtain and is available for reproduction. Robert Kapteyn is correct in the 53 are easier than the 55 as there were approximately 79,000 C/K made in 53. The 54 lense fits but is slightly different.

My first car was a 55 speedster that was a left over model that the dealer put a 56 hawk hood/grill/side grill/top fender turn signal housings but kept all the wiring six volt. This would in one case account for a confusion of a "55 Hawk" as when I bought the car for $150.00 in 1968 it was advertised as a "55 Hawk" in the local free ad paper. It took a lot of scooping Baskin Robbins ice cream at $1.00 an hour to pay for the car. Because I was under age, the car was titled in my dads name.

Bob Miles
          Tucson AZ
          Home of Lazarus

Comment

Originally posted by 6hk71400 View Post
            The 54 lense fits but is slightly different.
            The 1954 C & K Lenses are completely different than '53, and not even close to fitting, they are shorter.

In my opinion the '54 is much better looking than a Flat '53 with the Three fake "Sections" in it with Two divider Bars.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I have a nice set of 55 housing and nos lenses for sale.
              Candbstudebakers
              Castro Valley,
              California

Comment

Besides there being no "1955 hawk", there is no "starlite". I believe that you are referring to the 1955 C & K models (coupe and hardtop) and a Starlight (C body coupe in 1953). Just trying to get these things correct for the others and the future. I am pretty sure that you and some others know what you mean.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                  The 1954 C & K Lenses are completely different than '53, and not even close to fitting, they are shorter.

In my opinion the '54 is much better looking than a Flat '53 with the Three fake "Sections" in it with Two divider Bars.
                  I like the 1954 C & K . I'll stick with the 53 till i find some 54 C & K tail light housings.

Comment

Yes, Chuck,
                    The '54 and '55 tail light is, IMO, more desirable though less available than the '53. The later lens extends past the housing and, therefore, supplies a little bit of side marker affect, but will not fit in the '53 housing.
                    For correct nomenclature, starlite is "Starlight", and the "Hawk" model did not appear until 1956.
                    Rather than "searching on the internet", you've landed here; a forum that is but one small portion of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Joining SDC

and participating here will negate whatever Studebaker internet searches you may have thought necessary.
                    Brad Johnson,
                    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
                      I have a nice set of 55 housing and nos lenses for sale.
                      I'm looking for a pair of '55 lenses if you've still got these!
                      Kristin Cline | '55 Champion Coupe | www.GreaseGirl.com
                      sigpic

Comment

Just for clarity:
                        (1) The '54 C/K tail lamp housing is different than the '53 C/K housing. The lenses are different too: The '53 is flat; the '54 is somewhat rounded.
                        (2) In '55 the C/K tail lamp housing was redesigned again, larger to match the larger rear bumper. It has a smooth, rounded lens.
                        (3) The '56 tail lamp housing is the same as in '55, but the lens was redesigned (squared off, with a grid pattern).
                        -Dwight FitzSimons

Comment

GreaseGirl,
                          His post was in January. I suggest you Private Message him.
                          KURTRUK
                          (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                          X