filling cracks in steering wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• filling cracks in steering wheel

I'm thinking about trying to restore/repair a few dings & cracks in my steering wheel (then painting it). I've heard about different fillers that can be used, everything from epoxies to bowling ball hole-filler!

Any success stories out there? And then, what kind of paint do you recommend following repairs?

Las Vegas, NV
    '51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434

I've heard of using the "flash" from model kits (the plastic Trees that hold the models parts together). You know, the model cars and airplanes you built as a kid. Clean the area to be filled, melt the plastic into the void, let if harden, sand and paint.

Marty
    1949 Champion 4 dr.
    Ohio

Comment

Use files or hacksaw blades to open the cracks to 1/8" or bigger. Abrasive cord is good for cleaning deep down in the cracks. Fill with PC7 epoxy, let it get hard, use rasps and abrasive to sand it down to the contours of the finger grips. Fill it and sand it again and again until it is smooth and flush to the wheel shape. Prime and paint with acrylic enamel with clear overcoat. Lots of labor, low bucks.

[img=left]http://www.studegarage.com/images/gary_ash_m5_sm.jpg[/img=left] Gary Ash
      Dartmouth, Mass.
      '48 M5
      '65 Wagonaire Commander
      '63 Wagonaire Standard
      web site at http://www.studegarage.com
      Gary Ash
      Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
      ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
      '48 M5
      '65 Wagonaire Commander
      '63 Wagonaire Standard
      web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Try a bowling ball repair material, or a 2 part epoxy from 3M, as Gary indicated make the cracks bigger with either a hacksaw blade or a rat tail file, once epoxied up, use a 2 part seam seal, (easy sanding) and dial into shape. then an epoxy primer, and paint.

Jim

Comment

quote:Originally posted by garyash

Use files or hacksaw blades to open the cracks to 1/8" or bigger. Abrasive cord is good for cleaning deep down in the cracks. Fill with PC7 epoxy, let it get hard, use rasps and abrasive to sand it down to the contours of the finger grips. Fill it and sand it again and again until it is smooth and flush to the wheel shape. Prime and paint with acrylic enamel with clear overcoat. Lots of labor, low bucks.
          Gary Ash
          Dartmouth, Mass.
          Now that's a true "Studebaker" fix!

<h5>Mark
          '57 Transtar
          3E-6/7-122
          </h5>

Mark Hayden
          '66 Commander

Comment

I was going to do this repair on my steering wheel but I got lucky and found a crack free on on ebay for 25 bucks last week.

I was going to use epoxy and microballons as a filler. You can get both at any hobbyshop.

Comment

The steering wheel on my 56 Hawk was in extremely poor shape it had cracks about every 2 to 3 inches. I rebuilt it using JB Weld thinned with water. I brushed the soupy mix into the cracks with a cheap little paint brush, after the JB weld had set-up (24 hours) I filed and sanded the excess. After 4 or 5 of applications it was ready for paint.
              This is not a very good picture, but this is the rebuilt wheel

Studebaker Fever
              60 Lark
              56 Power Hawk
              Phil
              Arnold, Missouri

Studebaker Fever
              60 Lark
              56 Power Hawk
              Phil Hendrickson
              Arnold, Missouri

Comment

I am surprised that the JB weld would even mix with water. Is that what the company recommends to to use as a thinner?

Comment

Clean up prior to setting up is with water. After thinning with the water it takes longer to cure but after 24 hours it sets up as if it had never seen water.

Studebaker Fever
                  60 Lark
                  56 Power Hawk
                  Phil
                  Arnold, Missouri

Studebaker Fever
                  60 Lark
                  56 Power Hawk
                  Phil Hendrickson
                  Arnold, Missouri

Comment

To 60 lark.I like the water mix idea. Will have to try

Comment

The thinning with water got me thinking. I wonder if you could thin it to a sprayable consistency? Shape some foam, spray on epoxy, build up to a shell, dissolve the foam with laquer thinner, resulting in an exact mold. Hmmm...

Jim

_________1966 Avanti II RQA 0088______________Rabid Snail Racing
                      Jim
                      Often in error, never in doubt
                      http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

Sounds interesting, but you may find the epoxy rather brittle without the foam backing or using some kind of filler to support it.

Comment

Working...
                        X