Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something for Oliver fans

This 1947 HG-68 could be fun to have ($2500):

"Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Having owned over 20 Oliver and Cletrac crawlers, that machine would rank near the bottom of my list of one to buy. To wit, the 68 gauge may be practical for row crop farming, but not real conducive for matching up with a blade or bucket, especially with 6 inch tracks. The HG also still ran a magneto, had no water pump (convection cooling), the front idlers ran INSIDE the drive chain and with a 3 speed transmission it was geared too fast for pushing. You could get a Trasco auxiliary transmission, but they are pricey today.

While the OC-3 was a step up, I prefer the OC-4 with the OHV 3 cylinder Hercules engine, 4 speed transmission, reverser and spot turn clutches. I have a late model diesel with 12" pads and a 4 in one bucket that is a neat machine as well as a 1959 gas machine.

However, the ultimate in Oliver crawlers is the OC-96. It has the "Trans O Matic" hydrostatic drive and foot brakes, making it a very modern machine. While the DD198 Hercules is a bit underpowered, I would buy another one if I could find one in decent shape.

If anyone is considering buying one, let me know and I can walk you through what to look for.

Comment

Having owned over 20 Oliver and Cletrac crawlers, that machine would rank near the bottom of my list of one to buy. To wit, the 68 gauge may be practical for row crop farming, but not real conducive for matching up with a blade or bucket, especially with 6 inch tracks. The HG also still ran a magneto, had no water pump (convection cooling), the front idlers ran INSIDE the drive chain and with a 3 speed transmission it was geared too fast for pushing. You could get a Trasco auxiliary transmission, but they are pricey today.

While the OC-3 was a step up, I prefer the OC-4 with the OHV 3 cylinder Hercules engine, 4 speed transmission, reverser and spot turn clutches. I have a late model diesel with 12" pads and a 4 in one bucket that is a neat machine as well as a 1959 gas machine.

However, the ultimate in Oliver crawlers is the OC-96. It has the "Trans O Matic" hydrostatic drive and foot brakes, making it a very modern machine. While the DD198 Hercules is a bit underpowered, I would buy another one if I could find one in decent shape.

If anyone is considering buying one, let me know and I can walk you through what to look for.

Comment

When I was maybe 6 or 7 years old mt Dad had a Cletrac dozer. The engine blew up, and he and my Uncle Joe put a flathead 6 out of a 54 Plymouth in it. Had it running in about 2 weekends!

Amazing what 2 guys and a case of White Port wine can accomplish[)]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
        Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

When I was maybe 6 or 7 years old mt Dad had a Cletrac dozer. The engine blew up, and he and my Uncle Joe put a flathead 6 out of a 54 Plymouth in it. Had it running in about 2 weekends!

Amazing what 2 guys and a case of White Port wine can accomplish[)]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
          Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Working...
          X