Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ted Covington Sales (salvage yard in Pennsylvania with Studebakers & Packards)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ted Covington Sales (salvage yard in Pennsylvania with Studebakers & Packards)

Came upon a website for the magazine 'Vintage Truck Magazine' and found the attached article with photos of a salvage yard in Ottsville, PA. Perhaps locals can find some needed parts there.

sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

I see a semi car hauler trailer next to the 46 Studebaker truck. I've never seen one in a junk yard before.

Comment

that M Series has N.J. Historic plates on it , I wonder who it belonged to ? and why it ended up in the bone yard ?

Comment

Some folks here in NJ abuse the "historic vehicle" plate law. They simply apply for this plate when their vehicle reaches 25 years old.
        They obtain the collector car insurance and pay the one time registration fee. Slap the plates on anything and off they go...until stopped by a police cruiser!
        I've see these plates on an old Dodge tow truck, towing a car!
        sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
        Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
        "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Originally posted by 57pack View Post
          Some folks here in NJ abuse the "historic vehicle" plate law. They simply apply for this plate when their vehicle reaches 25 years old.
          Or, it could be a local law where all vehicles, even on your own property, must be registered. And one way to get around that is to register it with 'antique' plates. I've seen that done.

Craig

Comment

That could be as well.
            We have that very law in our Twp.
            sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
            Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
            "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Weird, I just Google Mapped it and apparently it's only 19 miles from me and I never heard of it before.

Comment

Hope someone rescues that M grill. Getting harder to find ones that haven't been bashed.

Comment

judging from the roof damage and the likewise kinked upper door, the M-series pickup was in an accident and totaled out. Insurance companies love to do this and they are getting more aggressive about it.
                  Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                  K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                  Ron Smith
                  Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Peter Grave is the owner and has some interesting cars and trucks . Some are worth saving such as the last 3/4 ton Champ tow truck. My Dad and I have purchased parts from him in the past. I am hoping to get a complete list of the stuff he would like to sell. He is most familiar with Stude CASO's and does not want to deal with tire kickers. He asks reasonable prices I did ask him about the tow truck as he has all NOS parts for rebuilding it. He has several sliding roof wagons as well as '64-'66 Cruisers and Daytona's. I can email pics I took in December of some vehicles if you PM me.
                    Rob in PA.

Comment

Originally posted by stude1964 View Post
                      Peter Grave is the owner and has some interesting cars and trucks . Some are worth saving such as the last 3/4 ton Champ tow truck. My Dad and I have purchased parts from him in the past. I am hoping to get a complete list of the stuff he would like to sell. He is most familiar with Stude CASO's and does not want to deal with tire kickers. He asks reasonable prices I did ask him about the tow truck as he has all NOS parts for rebuilding it. He has several sliding roof wagons as well as '64-'66 Cruisers and Daytona's. I can email pics I took in December of some vehicles if you PM me.
                      Rob in PA.
                      Can you post a photo of the Champ tow truck here? I could post it if you don't have an account with a photo hosting website (such as Picasa or Photobucket).
                      sigpic

Comment

I sent some pics to a buddy who posts here and I'll ask if he can help me out. Stay tuned!
                        Rob in PA.

Comment

Here ya go...would love to see the production order on this thing...

Comment

Originally posted by 62champ View Post
                            Here ya go...would love to see the production order on this thing...
                            It appears to be a very late one, with the swing pedals and a scripted grille.

Craig

Comment

Thanks for posting the photos. Towed hard and put away wet? Poor Champ...
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X