Need a windshield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a windshield

I need a windshield for my 51 Champion. Anyone have any experience with Phillips Auto Glass in Missouri? I'm thinking about calling them. I'm in California so if anyone knows a place closer let me know.

Also do they make replacement windshields with modern glass? UV protection, tinted etc...??
    Jon Stalnaker
    Karel Staple Chapter SDC

I've had experience with several windshields for my 66 Daytona and the new glass is much thinner, thus the weatherstrip doesn't fit correctly. I have heard that there are weatherstrips made for the new glass, but I've not had any experience with that.
    I know that Chuck Collins in Phoenix deals in some glass. He's a vendor, Studebaker Parts, and is on the forum. (602) 995-5311 or studebakerparts.com
    If he doesn't have or can't get it, he may have some ideas.
    I have a used one with a small chip that can be filled, but a new one would be better.
    I know that a lot of the new glass can be obtained in either clear or tinted.
    sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
    1950 Champion Convertible
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
    1957 Thunderbird

Comment

I used Phillips 30 years ago for my 50 Champ Starlight. They, at the time, offered clear, tinted or tinted with just a band across the top like the old kind. No recent experience, but they were quick and very helpful.

Mark

Comment

Try Carl at Studebakers West, 650-366-8787. If he's got one, it'll be cheaper shipping from Redwood City to Dixon, than from East of the Rockies
        George

Comment

A few years ago, at my very first South Bend swap meet. The owner of Phillips Auto Glass and I shared a table at breakfast. The reason I'm not attempting his name, I'm unsure of his first name.(I have his business card buried somewhere around here) I had seen his ads in Turning Wheels for years. What I do recall was that he, and family members with him, couldn't have been more pleasant or nice. I heard that he had some kind a health problem a while back. Don't know the current status.

However, I was impressed with them as friendly, hardworking, sincere folks. I wouldn't hesitate to do business with them if the need arose. Not only do I feel they would do their best to provide a good product, but advise you on any concern you have.

What happened to your windshield? Did you have an accident, or is it just old and cloudy...like the "patina" on my Land Cruiser?
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
            What happened to your windshield? Did you have an accident, or is it just old and cloudy...like the "patina" on my Land Cruiser?
            It has some cloudiness and some major scratches from using the windshield wipers when only the arm was present. It is the original windshield and a lot of heat comes through in the summertime. When we drove the car to St Louis last year we were rained on in every one of the 13 states we drove through. We took on a lot of water. When we took it apart to find where it was leaking, it turns out that the glass is so loose in the new weatherstrip that It might as well have holes in it.

I am planning on having someone take the glass out and make sure it is sealed properly when it goes back together. If I have to remove it anyway, now would be the time to put a better windshield in.
            Jon Stalnaker
            Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Champ Glass in Idaho Falls, Idaho is probably your closest Stude. stocking Glass Co.
              Call Russ Jenks at; 208 390 6306
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I'm assuming you have already checked with C&B?

Comment

classic-new.com

bobsclassicautoglass.com
                  KURTRUK
                  (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by kurtruk View Post
                    classic-new.com

bobsclassicautoglass.com
                    Good to mention this source. He is located in Eugene, Oregon. Quite a few people from the Portland area have driven down to Eugene to pick up their windshields and save the shipping charge. And, he seems to have windshields in tints and sunbands or whatever else you might want.

Comment

Be sure to tell the installer that the windshield in this car installs from the INSIDE of the car, not the outside. It's just another reason non Studebaker people think that Studebakers are weird.
                      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Phillips sold me the windshields for my '63 Avanti and '55 Speedster (The Doctor's Car)..........Very happy with both!

Comment

If the scratchers aren't too bad, you can wipe them out with jeweler]s rouge. I have had small chips repaired for about $35.00. They place a resin patch on the chip and use a process that looks like the old tire patching method using fire. If you have a leak around the seal, that's another problem completely.

Comment

Originally posted by Sdude View Post
                            I need a windshield for my 51 Champion. Anyone have any experience with Phillips Auto Glass in Missouri? I'm thinking about calling them.

I'm in California so if anyone knows a place closer let me know.

Also do they make replacement windshields with modern glass? UV protection, tinted etc...??
                            If you're in CA, you should be able to buy the glass from any auto glass shop. Why pay shipping charges, if one doesn't have too?

Comment

I purchased two new windshields from Phillips three years ago. One for my 57 Packard and one for my 64 Wagonaire. I live in NJ and they arrived undamaged and fit perfect.
                              sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                              Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                              "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Working...
                              X