Hydro-vac on 62 GT Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Hydro-vac on 62 GT Hawk

I replaced the MC and now brakes are not releasing with engine running and sitting still. Brake lights stay on for about a minute until brakes release. My mechanic thinks it's a bad Hydro-vac and is happily ready to replace it. This newbie needs advice before I send four hundred bucks north. Thanks in advance for your input. Jim in Atlanta
    Last edited by Jim Finley Sr; 01-24-2016, 07:24 AM.

Could your replacement master cylinder have had a check valve in it?

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
      Could your replacement master cylinder have had a check valve in it?

jack vines
      Hmm... Good question Jack that I will have to pass on to the mechanic. Actually only drove the car a couple of times after purchase before putting it in the shop for the master cylinder replacement And on those occasions it seemed that the brakes weren't releasing immediately when I made a stop.

Comment

First thing to check is adjustment of the push rod between pedal and master cylinder.
        Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Thanks Dwain; for sure before I order a new Hydro-vac

Comment

Dwain, can you comment specifically on how to adjust the pushrod? Thanks

Comment

Adjust the pushrod underneath the car so that it completely releases the piston inside the master cylinder. The pedal
              inside the car should move 1/4" to 3/8" before the pushrod contacts the piston inside the master cylinder. Don't confuse this with pedal travel. You should be able to feel the free play by pushing the pedal with only your pinky finger.

Click image for larger version

Name:	brake.free.play.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	1703488
              Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Thanks a mil Dwain. Will put the fix on it first thing in the morning

Comment

The two short flex hoses are notorious for acting like check valves when they get deteriorated and restricted inside. More than once have I sold a pair of these hoses to someone having a similar problem and the report to me was that cured the problem.

Comment

Working...
                  X