Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost out on ANOTHER fine M-series truck :(

Howdy readers.
    Well, the M16 truck advertised on page 56 of the January 2016 Turning Wheels has found a new home......and based on the subject line, you can tell it didn't come my way. Spoke again to the late owner's wife just today and was told that my competition, a museum in Georgia, was the winner. Sure, I realize that a private guy competing against a museum is a difficult row to hoe, but I did have my hopes up. So, this is now #2 missed (#1 was Al Sandeen's 1945 M15 in Minnesota); perhaps the old saw that "third time's a charm" will play out ?

I tried to upload the smaller of the two photos I have of it, but since they were actually scanned copies of the Xerox copies I was sent, and thus became PDFs, their size was too big.
    Mike Auldridge
    Gaithersburg, MD
    301-651-4346
    SDC Life Member since 1976
    1948 M16
    1961 Lark VIII convertible (with minor mods)

Mike,
    I know Oregon is a ways off but there is a truck on the CL here that might be a good buy. I spoke to the owner and he says he is willing to negotiate on the price, which is very reasonable to begin with. He also has a couple of extra V8 engines he would sell for a very low price. Here is a link to the CL ad.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Mike, here is another one up in Washington State.
      Ed Sallia
      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Ed, thanks for linking me to both of these. Actually, I've seen both of these ads (via an almost-daily CraigsList search via AdHuntr) fairly recently. The R-series truck is OK, but I'm really more of an M-series fan. Re: the M in Washington state, I've been in contact with the seller. There's promise there, yes; the hard part to swallow is the $3000+ cost to have it transported from there to MD, especially since it doesn't run, and tires are flat. Shippers at least want the item to be rollable, and non-runners demand a surcharge, sometimes a hefty one, or so I've been told so far by transporters (those that will even consider it; some guys won't even get back to me once I've said it doesn't run).
        Mike Auldridge
        Gaithersburg, MD
        301-651-4346
        1948 M16

Comment

Mike,

I have Asa Hall's 1948 M-16 that was at Vern Ediger's at the time of his death. Truck is solid, has a grain/cattle body with a twin cylinder dump and all tires are up. You can own it for not much more than the shipping quote from the West and it is only 1 state away.

Gary

Comment

I know how you feel I took a trip to Van Couver and another to New Jersey both were for good prospects but they ended up being a lot different than the descriptions and pictures sent to me, I found this 38 State Commander just 200 miles from home - just about in my backyard compared to the far ends of the country. Hang in there you will find the right truck. Have fun. Dave S
            Attached Files

Comment

The WA truck has Oregon plates, presumably an OR title too.
              Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

"Guido" Gary, that's an intriguing thought.
                You may have indirectly answered this next question in the recent past (as part of a previous thread of mine about the 1955 E38 in NJ), but is the truck you're talking about a red M-series in this 10-31-2015 thread response?

If so, perhaps you will PM me about it. Sorry, I don't recognize real names that go with the usernames on here.
                Mike Auldridge
                Gaithersburg, MD
                301-651-4346
                1948 M16

Comment

Working...
                X