Cleaning Aluminum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning Aluminum?

The aluminum pieces that are under the doors like a threshold on my 1950 Champion are very dull and washing them does not improve their looks. Any suggestions on how to get them to look better?

Jim

1950 2 timer
    Orleans, Indiana
    sigpicJimmie
    Orange County, Indiana
    1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA

An excellent question Jim.
    Remembering that aluminum is a very soft and somewhat porous metal, what you do to it to shine it up can have a big impact.
    Don't use anything that can scratch the surface (180 grit sandpaper for instance).
    Every scratch you put into the surface, you have to rub the parent material either down, or away to get rid of the appearance of the scratch.
    I would suggest the soft and gentle approach to start.
    Removing the part can jelp, but if it is flimsy aluminum, you might want to leave it in place to work on iy to begin with.
    Try this...
    Mask off around the sill plates so you won't goop up your carpets.
    Get some 'Mother's Mag Wheel Polish' and try that.
    When you apply it, use a nice soft rag (and have a few spares around.
    The surface will turn black as the chemical starts to work.
    Then rub it until it starts to shine.
    Repeat until your sanity has left the building.
    Then clean it and apply a good coat of wax.
    If the surface is pitted and rough, you can lightly sand it with 1500 or 2000 grit Emory cloth.
    But...any scratches you put in will mean triple the work getting them out.
    Once done, stand back and admire your work.
    Repeat before every show.
    You can speed things up with a small polishing pad in the end of a small air grinder or cordless drill....
    (But real men just use their supple hands[}]
    Hope the info helps.
    Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Jimmie

The aluminum pieces that are under the doors like a threshold on my 1950 Champion are very dull and washing them does not improve their looks. Any suggestions on how to get them to look better?
    Jim
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

An excellent question Jim.
      Remembering that aluminum is a very soft and somewhat porous metal, what you do to it to shine it up can have a big impact.
      Don't use anything that can scratch the surface (180 grit sandpaper for instance).
      Every scratch you put into the surface, you have to rub the parent material either down, or away to get rid of the appearance of the scratch.
      I would suggest the soft and gentle approach to start.
      Removing the part can jelp, but if it is flimsy aluminum, you might want to leave it in place to work on iy to begin with.
      Try this...
      Mask off around the sill plates so you won't goop up your carpets.
      Get some 'Mother's Mag Wheel Polish' and try that.
      When you apply it, use a nice soft rag (and have a few spares around.
      The surface will turn black as the chemical starts to work.
      Then rub it until it starts to shine.
      Repeat until your sanity has left the building.
      Then clean it and apply a good coat of wax.
      If the surface is pitted and rough, you can lightly sand it with 1500 or 2000 grit Emory cloth.
      But...any scratches you put in will mean triple the work getting them out.
      Once done, stand back and admire your work.
      Repeat before every show.
      You can speed things up with a small polishing pad in the end of a small air grinder or cordless drill....
      (But real men just use their supple hands[}]
      Hope the info helps.
      Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Jimmie

Jim
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Mother's also makes an aluminum polish that I've used on lots of things. It's good stuff, but just a little pricey. On the other hand, it should do a lot of jobs.
        "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Mother's also makes an aluminum polish that I've used on lots of things. It's good stuff, but just a little pricey. On the other hand, it should do a lot of jobs.
          "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

I've had a little experience with aluminum... I polished a 16' aluminum camping trailer a couple years ago. The best stuff I've used is called Nuvite, but for the area you're talking about this would be overkill. Another product I've been really impressed with is called Southern Shine, it's cheap (compared to other stuff) and works great and fast.

Nuvite:

Southern Shine:
            Your go-to source for high-performance parts fitting Ford Mustang, Bronco, Explorer, Mach-E, Focus/Fiesta, F-150, and more! Shop today with the true enthusiasts!

Lee

Comment

I've had a little experience with aluminum... I polished a 16' aluminum camping trailer a couple years ago. The best stuff I've used is called Nuvite, but for the area you're talking about this would be overkill. Another product I've been really impressed with is called Southern Shine, it's cheap (compared to other stuff) and works great and fast.

Nuvite:

Southern Shine:
              Your go-to source for high-performance parts fitting Ford Mustang, Bronco, Explorer, Mach-E, Focus/Fiesta, F-150, and more! Shop today with the true enthusiasts!

Lee

Comment

Just to add my two cents.. I really like the maquires hot wheels polish just about better than anything I have used. I had an old set of wheels on my Mercedes and it really helped them out a lot.

Former owner/owner with Dad:
                58 Packard Golden Hawk
                62 Hawk
                62 Lark
                63 Lark
                64 Lark
                63 Champ

Comment

Just to add my two cents.. I really like the maquires hot wheels polish just about better than anything I have used. I had an old set of wheels on my Mercedes and it really helped them out a lot.

Former owner/owner with Dad:
                  58 Packard Golden Hawk
                  62 Hawk
                  62 Lark
                  63 Lark
                  64 Lark
                  63 Champ

Comment

I have used both the Mother's and Meguire's polishes--excellent products but labor intensive. I have found that cold beer (or perhaps a hot toddie for those of you in the frozen north) is an excellent accompaniment to such a tediuos task.

Hope this helps

Jeff

Comment

I have used both the Mother's and Meguire's polishes--excellent products but labor intensive. I have found that cold beer (or perhaps a hot toddie for those of you in the frozen north) is an excellent accompaniment to such a tediuos task.

Hope this helps

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                      X