No announcement yet.

interchanging wheels from car to truck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels / Tires: interchanging wheels from car to truck?

Good day to all studebaker lovers. I have a very easy question for the experts. I am considering purchasing a set of artillary wheels from a 36 dictator. I'm hoping they are interchangeable and will fit well on my 37 coupe express. they are not cheap and of course there is always the shipping.
    So before i hand over cash i need to be sure they are interchangeable.
    So if any gurus are out there at this time can you possibly shed light on this idea.

Will the wheels from a 36 dictator mount up on a 37 coupe express?

Thank you and have a great day. 1BTCHN37CPEXP

Dunno but would guess yes. The 37 is a 5 lug on 5" IIRC. The old wheels in good condition? If you are planning just occasional use with the original style bias ply tires you'll probably be fine if the wheels are in good shape. If you're contemplating driving on the highway with radial tires, new modern wheels may be a good idea.
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

If you have the 1936 & 1937 Studebaker Parts Catalog (which you SHOULD), just look up the Brake Drums for the 2 Models, when you find them the same Part Number in the Part number listing, you KNOW you are good to go!
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The simple answer is yes, 1936 artillery wheels will fit '37 Coupe-Express. There are plenty of factory photos showing them. I have them on my '37. I now have a Dictator chassis under mine so I could get the planar suspension, but when I first bought it and it had the original Coupe-Express chassis, the artillery wheels were on it then.

Are you you getting the hubcaps too? These might be a greater challenge. They are different than the hubcaps for disc wheels and are pretty scarce. Tom

Comment

thanks for your reply to my question Mr. Lewis. I will now proceed with the purchase. I am also getting at least 3 hubcaps that appeared to be in good condition in the pics. the fact that the hub caps are pretty scarce gives me another mission to go on to find two more. thanks again.

Comment

Working...
          X