Studebaker Truck Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Truck Question

Did Studebaker ever make a COE truck cab? I have kicking around the idea of doing a COE truck and though it would be cool to do a Studebaker version if I can find a cab (if the made them) and make a flat bed to haul the wife's Champion to shows.

It would probably be military. Lional Stone had a 48 or 49 that I worked on back around 1980 it was a Ton and a Half weapons carrier. Bob K. parted it out 15-20 years ago.

Comment

They made them. You will likely get plenty of input on the subject. There is one member who has one or more of them and at least one has been on the cover of a recent Turning Wheels magazine. There was a good article about them in Turning Wheels at about that same time.
      Ed Sallia
      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

The museum has a very nice one.
        Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Here are some photos off the web.

Ed Sallia
          Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture056-2 Stude truck.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	1703331From the museum website.
            Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
              Second row.
              1st and third images, [along with any other image of that truck]
              Is a custom build, not factory.
              South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Originally posted by 55 56 PREZ 4D View Post
                Second row.
                1st and third images, [along with any other image of that truck]
                Is a custom build, not factory.
                There are a number of anomolies on the page including non-Studebaker, non-truck etc. The examples of correct Studebaker COEs are plentiful enough. Some really neat ones too.
                Ed Sallia
                Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Any COE factory Studebaker truck would be pre WWII. As a result, the technology is approaching 80 years old. If you will be hauling you would be wise to consider system upgrades.

Comment

Some years back, at the Larz Anderson Auto Museum in Brookline, MA, there was an exhibit of proposed auto designs which were never manufactured. One which naturally caught my eye was a cab-over pickup which used a Studebaker C-cab with the firewall area rounded and smoothed. It really worked quite well and it's always in the back of my mind as an "when I hit the lottery" project. I tried taking photos, but the glass kept reflecting the flash.

jack vines
                    PackardV8

Comment

There were also a small number of COE Studebaker buses built in the late 1930s.
                      Bill Jarvis

Comment

I posted some photos of Jerry Kurtz's COE here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...nd-info-My-1st

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Greenstude View Post
                          There were also a small number of COE Studebaker buses built in the late 1930s.
                          There is one 1937 COE bus which still survives: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...d-bus-for-sale

Craig

Comment

AFAIK, Studebaker was the first truck manufacturer to offer a COE (Cab Over Engine), beginning circa mid 1930's.

Comment

Originally posted by WinM1895 View Post
                              AFAIK, Studebaker was the first truck manufacturer to offer a COE (Cab Over Engine), beginning circa mid 1930's.
                              I don't think they were the very first, but they did have a good share of the COE market back then: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ighlight=mogul

And if you don't like the pre-war COE's, you can always build your own later model: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...-JRoberts-COEs

Craig
                              Last edited by 8E45E; 01-14-2016, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X