VIDEO: Avanti R5089 Startup after a 40+ year hibernation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VIDEO: Avanti R5089 Startup after a 40+ year hibernation

After about 40 years of silence, Avanti R5089, the first of nine production R3 Avantis, comes to life. Enjoy these three short videos. More fine tuning will take place in the coming days, and now, the rest of the restoration can continue, ie: interior, glass and trim. See Avanti Magazine Fall/Winter 2015 (Issue 172), page 36-37 for more details of this historically significant Studebaker Avanti.

Brad Bez worked this week to check the engine and wiring for Randy Rapp's Avanti.

After about 40 years of silence, Avanti R5089, the first of nine production R3 Avantis, comes to life.
    Last edited by lschuc; 01-12-2016, 11:44 PM.
    Lew Schucart
    Editor, Avanti Magazine

VIDEO: Avanti R5089 Startup after a 40+ year hibernation

Avanti 5089: Tuning

The first production Studebaker Avanti gets tuned and run-in to break in the new cam and lifters after a 40-year hibernation.

Note the engine number of R5089's original engine 42-seconds into this video: R3 B320.
    Last edited by lschuc; 01-12-2016, 11:47 PM.
    Lew Schucart
    Editor, Avanti Magazine

Comment

Avanti 5089: Idle time & first run
      Lew Schucart
      Editor, Avanti Magazine

Comment

WOW , thanx so much for posting the three videos ... -------------------- CRUISER

Comment

I need a haircut. Lew, your photoshopping skills needed. i'm better looking than that in real life.
          Last edited by bezhawk; 01-13-2016, 06:43 AM.
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948
          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
            I need a haircut. Lew, your photoshopping skills needed. i'm better looking than that in real life.
            Your professor Einstein look! Genius at work
            Lew Schucart
            Editor, Avanti Magazine

Comment

Great news! I am happy to see R3 Avanti #1 coming together after all these years.
              Eric DeRosa

\'63 R2 Lark
              \'60 Lark Convertible

Comment

What did I miss? WHY would Lew claim that R5089 is the FIRST Production Avanti? We of course know that R1001 was. This one is close to the LAST, even has an R3!
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Probably a typo, Rich--I think Lew meant that it's the first production R3 Avanti.

Congrats--fine work, Lew and the Professor!

George
                  george krem

Comment

There's no link to the videos?

Comment

Originally posted by nels View Post
                      There's no link to the videos?
                      I was able to just click the "GO" Arrow and play the Videos, maybe you don't have the right settings on your Video Player program.
                      You do need to be logged in of course, sometimes you will be "Timed Out" automatically and not know it.
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                        I was able to just click the "GO" Arrow and play the Videos, maybe you don't have the right settings on your Video Player program.
                        You do need to be logged in of course, sometimes you will be "Timed Out" automatically and not know it.
                        No go arrow on my screen. I'm logged in or I couldn't post.

Comment

That was very interesting to watch, however, I believe everyone in the video would have probably benefited from some type of 'exhaust vacuum system' in that garage!

Or at least flexible rubber exhaust hoses run from the Avanti's tailpipes to the outside of the building!

Comment

Videos don't open for me either on a Samsung Galaxy Edge Six Plus

Comment

I had the block for that car for many years. Bob Kapteyn and I did a little trading and he got the original block back. Glad it is reunited with it's original home.
                              james r pepper

Comment

Working...
                              X