51 vin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 51 vin

The serial number is gi064743. The tag on the firewall is 10g-s2 2837. The vin number is ok187845. I have no idea what the engine number is. It currently has a Corvette LT1 from Street and Performance. For those that might be intrested this car will be shown for the first time at the world of wheels show in the superdome in New Orleans in Jan. It had a rotessery restoration and a fatman frame stub with mustang II power steering front 4L60e trans, ford 9" rear, air bag suspension,extended dash with a gps/dvd/ radio, bucket seats with lcd screens in the backs all linked to a mini camra. A full length console with power window, top switch, vintage air and air suspension controls in it. Hartz cloth top and ultra leather interior. Also an idit steering colum, custom hydralic top cylinders and pump. It is black with a black top and tan interior. I did most of the work myself but had a lot of help from friends. If anyone needs help or advice on the their build I would be happy to try to help. I know this car is not going to appeal to the purest, and I respect that, but its still a Studebaker. I'll try to send pictures when it gets out of the upholstry shop.

Jeff

G1064743 (Studebaker used a capital I for a 1) is in the number sequence for a South Bend built 1951 Champion. This number should be on the driver's side A pillar. It is generally the number that the cars were registered to and the number on the title (although some states used the engine number).

OK187845 doesn't match up to anything. It is not a Studebaker serial number, nor is it a Studebaker engine number. Could it be a number assigned to it by the State of Oklahoma due to a lost title or something?

The fire wall tag...10G = 1951 Champion, S2 = Convertible body, 2837 sequence number of the body (essentially meaningless since Studebaker used the bodys in somewhat random order when they built the actual cars).

Post some pictures of the car. It sounds very special [].

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

G1064743 (Studebaker used a capital I for a 1) is in the number sequence for a South Bend built 1951 Champion. This number should be on the driver's side A pillar. It is generally the number that the cars were registered to and the number on the title (although some states used the engine number).

OK187845 doesn't match up to anything. It is not a Studebaker serial number, nor is it a Studebaker engine number. Could it be a number assigned to it by the State of Oklahoma due to a lost title or something?

The fire wall tag...10G = 1951 Champion, S2 = Convertible body, 2837 sequence number of the body (essentially meaningless since Studebaker used the bodys in somewhat random order when they built the actual cars).

Post some pictures of the car. It sounds very special [].

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

The car came from San Diago with that vin number. The serial number plate is in spanish. Whats up with that?

Comment

The car came from San Diago with that vin number. The serial number plate is in spanish. Whats up with that?

Comment

Can you clarify as to which number is on the title and which number is on the door pillar? Also, can you post a picture of the plate on the driver's side A pillar.

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Can you clarify as to which number is on the title and which number is on the door pillar? Also, can you post a picture of the plate on the driver's side A pillar.

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

If the serial# plate's in Spanish, quite likely it is a car that saw it's final assembly in Mexico or South America. Studes sold for export were partially disassembled and then final assembled at contracted plants in various foreign locales. There WAS such a contract plant in Mexico.
                The "OK" VIN# - who knows??? My first thought was like Dick's thinking - something issued by Oklahoma, but it could be some other source. In '51, cars were likely to be registered using the ENGINE serial# instead of the car serial#, but that OK prefix is not from a Studebaker engine, so who knows?

Miscreant adrift in
                the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

If the serial# plate's in Spanish, quite likely it is a car that saw it's final assembly in Mexico or South America. Studes sold for export were partially disassembled and then final assembled at contracted plants in various foreign locales. There WAS such a contract plant in Mexico.
                  The "OK" VIN# - who knows??? My first thought was like Dick's thinking - something issued by Oklahoma, but it could be some other source. In '51, cars were likely to be registered using the ENGINE serial# instead of the car serial#, but that OK prefix is not from a Studebaker engine, so who knows?

Miscreant adrift in
                  the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

The door piller is G1064743. The title is OK187845 and the title came from San Diago not OK. Thanks for all your help.
                    Jeff

Comment

The door piller is G1064743. The title is OK187845 and the title came from San Diago not OK. Thanks for all your help.
                      Jeff

Comment

Pennsylvania assigns a number to titles for their own records purpose. It has absolutely nothing to do with the vehicle's manufacturing record. If the vehicle is sold, the new title would have a completely different number. This could be the case with your title.
                        Brad Johnson,
                        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Pennsylvania assigns a number to titles for their own records purpose. It has absolutely nothing to do with the vehicle's manufacturing record. If the vehicle is sold, the new title would have a completely different number. This could be the case with your title.
                          Brad Johnson,
                          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Yeah and for that matter, that odd number could've been something given it in Mexico or whatever country it came from.

Best thing to do would be to send that G-number to the museum with the appropriate fee and get a copy of the production order. My guess is it would tell where the car was exported to.

Miscreant adrift in
                            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                            1960 Larkvertible V8
                            1958 Provincial wagon
                            1953 Commander coupe

Comment

Yeah and for that matter, that odd number could've been something given it in Mexico or whatever country it came from.

Best thing to do would be to send that G-number to the museum with the appropriate fee and get a copy of the production order. My guess is it would tell where the car was exported to.

Miscreant adrift in
                              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                              1960 Larkvertible V8
                              1958 Provincial wagon
                              1953 Commander coupe

Comment

Working...
                              X