Wiper motors & "El Nino"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Wiper motors & "El Nino"

Well, we finally got some rain here in So Cal. The other day I needed to run some errands & took the 62 Champ out. When I turned on the wipers they swept 2 or 3 times & then stopped. My first stop was only a few blocks away so I continued on & went in for almost an hour. When I came out & started back turning on the wipers worked & continued to work, just like they are supposed to. Then yesterday afternoon it was time for the 62 Cruiser to go for a spin. Turned on the wipers & 2 or 3 sweeps & stop. This time I needed gas that was 4 miles away so I continued on VERY carefully. After getting gas I turned on the wipers & they worked & didn't stop. Now both vehicles have been driven pretty regularly but the wipers weren't used for some time until now. Has anyone else had this occur to them? Any ideas of what could have caused this situation on 2 vehicles?
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

When I lived in the California desert, sometimes the rubber wiper blades would crack, but go un-noticed for who knows how long, till I'd suddenly need to turn them on one day. Then, I'd have an, "oh crap" moment, till I could get to a FLAPS.

When I first got the 62 GT, now over 30 years and 300,000 miles ago, I disassembled the wiper motor entirely, cleaned and lubed everything. Today, it still works as good as ever.

So maybe just a little TLC on yours is in order. Also, don't forget new blades, especially if you cannot recall the last time you changed them.

Comment

Sounds to me that the switches might have a little dirt/corrosion on them. Turning them on and off might have cleaned them enough to work. Strange that it happened to two different cars in the same way, but why not. You might try spraying the switches with some contact cleaner.
      sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
      1950 Champion Convertible
      1950 Champion 4Dr
      1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
      1957 Thunderbird

Comment

The circuit beaker for the wipers could be weak...it can work fine with little resistance to the blades but with the resistance of fighting a lot of water could trip the breaker.
        Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

I too have experienced this problem, an internet search has yet to find a local authorized Studebaker dealer that will repair under warranty.

Comment

I have written about this before as the symptoms sound the same. The two brass contact strips inside the rotating electrical assemble on the wiper motor have worn. They heat up, and like a thermal switch/breaker warp from the heat and bend away from there dragging circular course. Once lifted the wipers stop at whatever position they find themselves at. Once cooled down the cycle starts again. The remedy is to either replace them or replace the whole wiper motor assembly. You will find the brass contacts under the circular cap where the wires are soldered at the wiper moror. I will try to find the post that has more details but no promises.

Len

Comment

Originally posted by Skybolt View Post
              I have written about this before as the symptoms sound the same. The two brass contact strips inside the rotating electrical assemble on the wiper motor have worn. They heat up, and like a thermal switch/breaker warp from the heat and bend away from there dragging circular course. Once lifted the wipers stop at whatever position they find themselves at. Once cooled down the cycle starts again. The remedy is to either replace them or replace the whole wiper motor assembly. You will find the brass contacts under the circular cap where the wires are soldered at the wiper moror. I will try to find the post that has more details but no promises.

Len
              This sounds like the culprit for mine - my problem is the opposite. The longer I let my wipers run, the less likely they are to stop when i turn them off. Obviously, the contacts in the cap are sticking...haven't opened it up yet.
              -------------------
              Daddy always said, if yer gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough & I\'m one tough sumbiatch!

Comment

Some years ago I read an article on a Studebaker site that gave instructions for a thorough cleaning of the wiper motor. I have looked for the article since, but never found it.

Comment

Well not too far from you on RT.#35 in Middletown, NJ is Bobby's Auto Repair...he may not be an "authorized" dealer....but he sure can fix that Avanti!!
                  Originally posted by mch View Post
                  I too have experienced this problem, an internet search has yet to find a local authorized Studebaker dealer that will repair under warranty.

Comment

Had the same problem and same fix as Skybolt. The contacts (inside the wiper motor) get dirty and worn. A few years ago the contacts (NOS) were still available - Got mine from Studebaker West. They have an immense stock of new and NOS parts on hand and are a great source for info.

Paul TK

Comment

Contacts AND old grease, which adds drag and overloads the circuit breaker. Clean out the old grease, and replace it with new ( I used red grease, but what do I know?)
                      Ron Dame
                      '63 Champ

Comment

I had the same problem for years but fixed it last week by changing the dash switch in the Champ.
                        At this stage it has cured the problem.
                        pb

Comment

Working...
                        X