Nice article on the fastest cars at the PSMCDR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice article on the fastest cars at the PSMCDR

A complete unknown on the muscle car scene until appearing at the Pure Stock Drags in 1998, George Krem's unlikely-looking sedan, known among its club peers as the Plain Brown Wrapper, has earned a reputation as the car nobody wants to race.

101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

'Way cool, Bob; thanks for the post and link.

Tom Shaw
    does an awfully nice job for us, and he isn't faking it. He really loves the Studes, as evidenced by his many remarks since being "wowed" by The Plain Brown Wrapper's initial appearance at the event in 1998. You see his photo on Page 38 of the January 2016 Turning Wheels. I exchanged e-mails with Tom just yesterday, verifying that Studebaker-Packard did have a limited slip diofferential, Twin Traction, on the market before any of the Big Three. He was writing an article for something else about limited-slip differentials, so I sent him some period documentation.

Also note this link's reference to the Clary's 1969 Olds Cutlass, car #8 in the article. That is the car Ted beat with The Stude Tomato, discussed on Page 41 of the January 2016 Turning Wheels. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Nice job of writing, too.
      Doesn't glamorize, but pays respect for performance and driver skill.
      Good read on all the competitors.
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
        Nice job of writing, too.
        Doesn't glamorize, but pays respect for performance and driver skill.
        Good read on all the competitors.
        Right on, Jeff; Tom Shaw always does a nice job on any topic.

If you want to read Tom's writing regularly, subscribe to Muscle Car Review. He is a regular writer/columnist therein. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I hear you do a little writing on the side, too....
          (tease: Looking forward to reading your upcoming TW article on Jack Heidel's land speed Avanti)

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
          Right on, Jeff; Tom Shaw always does a nice job on any topic.
          If you want to read Tom's writing regularly, subscribe to Muscle Car Review. He is a regular writer/columnist therein. BP
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
            I hear you do a little writing on the side, too....
            (tease: Looking forward to reading your upcoming TW article on Jack Heidel's land speed Avanti)
            Thanks, Jeff. Jack Heidel's article is indeed coming up in the February Turning Wheels, but the writing is Jack's, not mine. I kind of edited it to flesh it out, but it is still Jack's endeavor.

(I just signed off on the page proofs for it and Ted Harbit's "From the Drivers Seat" for February, so "don't touch that dial;" they're on their way. ) BP

Comment

You couldn't find a nicer guy than Tom Shaw. We first met him at the 1998 Pure Stock Drags. At that time, he was the Editor of Muscle Car Review, and as Bob mentioned, he still does a lot of writing.

George
              george krem

Comment

Working...
              X