71 Avavti rear sway bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 71 Avavti rear sway bar

Can someone show me a picture or an illustration from a manual what the rear sway bar looks like, and how it is attached. Mine is missing and I have a chance to buy a used one... so I need to see what's up before I spring 90 bucks for something that may not be the right one. Any help will be appreciated, thanks. Daver

I don't know what you are thinking of buying, but Jim Pepper has a complete rear sway bar that will fit perfectly. He has a post on this forum showing it. Jim knows his stuff, and he'll tell you positively whether his will work on your car. He is a great guy to deal with. Bill

Comment

Could you find and post the link to that ? I did a search....I couldn't find it.

Comment

Comment

That's the one I was looking at, but I have no idea how it fits on the car, or if it will fit.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Daver View Post
              That's the one I was looking at, but I have no idea how it fits on the car, or if it will fit.
              That's an Avanti rear sway bar for sure.....but you'll still need to find (or make) the L&R angle brackets if they are not on your Avanti.

Comment

Just got back on for today. The Ebay ad is Jim Peppers, as is the post on this page (page 2 today) listed as "Avanti parts for sale". You can ask Jim any questions you may have and he will give you the correct answer. Jim is also the Turning Wheels high performance advisor in the "Communicator", and he really knows his stuff! Bill

Comment

Thanks for the replies and the excellent look at the sway bar. I'll jack it up tomorrow and have a good look to see if it will fit. I have custom exhaust. I wish I had some measurements on those arms.... mine has a big cross member.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the replies and the excellent look at the sway bar. I'll jack it up tomorrow and have a good look to see if it will fit. I have custom exhaust. I wish I had some measurements on those arms.... mine has a big cross member.
                    VERY nice looking Avanti ll!....But what are those metal 'plugs' located where the rear vertical bumpers would normally be?

(Back up lights?)

Comment

... yep, back up lights. I took off the ugly bumper brackets. They were rectangle box metal painted silver. I converted the original back-up lights to additional stop/turn signals.... mo' betta'. Those were the only clear colored lights I could find, I cut the square back plates out of some 1/8 aluminum I had. When the car is on the ground those lights don't stick in your eye so much.

Comment

This is what the rear used to look like. I also threw that license plate bracket as far into the dump as I could. Damn that was ugly.
                        Attached Files

Comment

... yep, back up lights. I took off the ugly bumper brackets. They were rectangle box metal painted silver. I converted the original back-up lights to additional stop/turn signals.... mo' betta'. Those were the only clear colored lights I could find, I cut the square back plates out of some 1/8 aluminum I had. When the car is on the ground those lights don't stick in your eye so much.
                          Definitely changes for the better! ...I agree those earlier homemade verticals really did look pretty bad!

Comment

Working...
                          X