Spray paint freezing OK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spray paint freezing OK?

I just realized I have my two cans of the yellow custom paint for my valve covers in the garage. It's already been down to 5 above zero a few times. I've never used the paint yet. Is it OK to keep it out there all winter? I don't think I've ever noticed a problem with any other spray paint kept in the garage over winters. I thought I'd ask.
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Scott,
    My experience with spray piant that has been frozen is the color was a shade off and it would not spray like it should have. We had to order a new shipment to replace the piant that had been frozen.

Gary Sanders
    Nixa, MO
    President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
    Gary Sanders
    Nixa, MO

Comment

I would suppose that it would depend upon the particular paints formulation, I have stored cans of spray paint in my unheated garage in Michigan for many years, and still had good results when employing them after enduring several sub-zero winters. Mostly just the basic black's and white's but also cans of High-Temp engine enamel, and cans (not spray) of One-Shot Lettering Enamel.

Comment

Speaking of spray cans: everybody wants to store them standing up.Lay them down,and when it's time to use them the rattle ball will mix it up much quicker.
        I've heard a lot of different things about freezing paint,I try to keep mine from freezing 'just in case'.. All you can do is get your spray cans completely warmed up and well shaken and try them.

LaSalle,Il
        61Hawk
        Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Any paint that is frozen should be thawed slowly (don't "warm" it up) Paint consists of emulsifiers (among other things)which keep everything in the correct suspension. My advice is that if space and time allow - paint should be stored at temps above freezing. If that is not possible - thaw it naturally and test it on something inconspicuous before you use it.

55 Commander
          58 Transtar
          62 GT Hawk
          66 Cruiser

Comment

I just used two cans of Plasti-Coat brand aerosol paints that had been sitting (but never used) in an unheated storage garage for 4 or 5 years. They performed just fine, though I can't attest to whether the color was exactly as it had been when it was brn new, but it looks okay to Me. In a case like that, I would be sure to shake and shake very thoroughly before using. Otherwise, you run the risk of plugging the nozzle with solids that have settled in the bottom of the can.
            "You Can't Have Everything--Where Would You Put It?" ---comedian Steven Wright

Comment

Except for water based stuff, paint doesn't "freeze"; certainly none of the car paints or rattle can stuff does. Paint will actually deteriorate more slowly the colder it is. Mix well and use, it'll be fine.

Comment

Working...
              X