Among my souvenirs - 1950 Studebaker silk tie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Among my souvenirs - 1950 Studebaker silk tie

Probably a pretty rare item that I have owned for over 30 years. An original silk tie from a South Bend department store. Has a hand painted '50 Champion (done in 1950).

Click image for larger version

Name:	001 (3).JPG
Views:	1
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	1750154
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

That is a good looking tie!
    Thanks for sharing your collection of interesting Studebaker/Studebaker related items. It is always a pleasure to get a chance to view them.
    Nick

Comment

Thanks for sharing again Dick one of your unique Studebaker items. I only have a new 1952 Centennial tie in its original packaging & I bet you have one of those also!!

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
      MELBOURNE.

Comment

Originally posted by HAWK64 View Post
        Thanks for sharing again Dick one of your unique Studebaker items. I only have a new 1952 Centennial tie in its original packaging & I bet you have one of those also!!
        Yes, Jim of course!
        Richard Quinn
        Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

That is some cool neckwear.
          The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Richard,
            That's pretty classy. Enjoy wearing it.
            Rog
            '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
            Smithtown,NY
            Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

...and here I thought ties were skinny in 1950. A beautiful accessory in a brave colour.
              Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
              K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
              Ron Smith
              Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Originally posted by studeclunker View Post
                ...and here I thought ties were skinny in 1950. A beautiful accessory in a brave colour.
                Actually, ties got skinnier in the mid '50s. I remember because I started college in the fall of 1955. I needed to wear a jacket and tie to class and I remember that the ties were skinnier.
                Rog
                '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                Smithtown,NY
                Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Originally posted by studeclunker View Post
                  I remember ties as being skinny in the (early) 1960s. For 30+ years, I had jobs where I had to wear a tie every day. I can remember throwing away as many as 30 at one time. Now I have a few and mostly just use one of them (my favorite) for the few occasions a year when I need to wear a suit, like next Thursday when I go to a college president's breakfast.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Yeah, ties suddenly became narrow in the mid-50s (what deity makes these decisions anyway?), and I remember laughing at the geezers in my office who still wore those wide ties from the 1950s. They got wide again in the 1970s, so my wife made me replace all my narrow ties with wide ones. Now that I am a geezer myself, I wear the ties that I like and don't pay any attention to their width.
                    Skip Lackie

Comment

Nowadays, ties have to be long enough to show under the jacket! A real fashion faux pas back in the day! <G>

Comment

Robertson's was THE Department Store Downtown. Mother and Grandmother took me there many times in the late 60's and early 70's. I am not old enough to have ties from Robertson's (they closed in the 70's), but do have some from THE Men's Store in South Bend, Gilbert's (they made it into the 90's). Owner Paul Gilbert was famous for his quote in December, 1963, "This is not Studebaker, IN, this is South Bend, IN........" What a beautiful example tying two legendary South Bend names together!

Comment

Originally posted by 556063 View Post
                          Robertson's was THE Department Store Downtown. Mother and Grandmother took me there many times in the late 60's and early 70's. I am not old enough to have ties from Robertson's (they closed in the 70's), but do have some from THE Men's Store in South Bend, Gilbert's (they made it into the 90's). Owner Paul Gilbert was famous for his quote in December, 1963, "This is not Studebaker, IN, this is South Bend, IN........" What a beautiful example tying two legendary South Bend names together!
                          I remember buying school clothes at Robetson's and of course Penny's across the street.. They had a "husky" department..

Comment

Working...
                          X