No announcement yet.

All V8 distributors interchangeable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: All V8 distributors interchangeable?

AFAIK, all Stude V8 distributors are interchangeable in physical dimensions, I recently got a question about a '64 GT distributor being longer than others. Anyone have any info on any which won't interchange?

jack vines
    PackardV8

I don't think there ARE any exceptions, except maybe those early Two Piece 1951 Delco Distributors, and the Block surface to Oil Pump Gear distance still would be the same.

Only a modified or damaged one should differ.

And of course the Packard Engine in the '56 Golden Hawk, is NOT a "Studebaker Designed" Engine, so is not part of the discussion.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

All V8 distributors with the exception of the 1951 units are interchangeable. I've never seen a difference in the length of the 1962 to 1964 Prestolite distributors. Keep in mind that the dual point R series distributors have different advance curves compared to the stock single point distributors. Interchanging an R series distributor especially a distributor from a supercharged engine which has a different curve than an R1 distributor with a stock single point distributor can cause some engine performance problems such as detonation or a minor loss of power. Bud

Comment

Distributors were a vendor item for Studebaker.
        Stude put out the bid spec's and bids were let.
        As far as individual quirks.. I am sure there were some.
        But a good distributor is a good distributor (and a bad one is a bad one).
        If you keep all the parts the same on each distributor (6v to 6v, 12v to 12v, and correct to that particular distributor, they should all function.
        But... If your particular engine had a different spec... (say...an R3 as compared to a 55 289)....
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

As mentioned, this question was just physical dimensions and Stude V8s. Yes, there are Prestolites and Delcos, single point and dual point, different curves, but they all drop in the same hole and have the same gears, same length shafts, correct?

In fifty years, I've never seen one which was different in basic dimensions, but when a customer says his is special, I've learned to ask for second opinions of his and mine.

jack
          Last edited by PackardV8; 12-27-2015, 06:03 PM.
          PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
            In fifty years, I've never seen one which was different in basic dimensions, but when a customer says his is special, I've learned to ask for second opinions of his and mine.

jack
            Jack, the parts manual does not seem to support your customer's assertion. What evidence has he offered? Perhaps he has an old style Mallory distributor on this car, which does seem to be 'shorter' due to the cap configuration?

As far as overall length, the mid '50s to early '60s Hawk Delco distributors would be slightly 'taller' than others if the car is equipped with a tachometer, due to the tach sender sandwhiched between the distributor body and the cap.

Pictures from your customer would help...............
            Paul
            Winston-Salem, NC
            Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
            Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
              If you keep all the parts the same on each distributor (6v to 6v, 12v to 12v, and correct to that particular distributor, they should all function.
              But... If your particular engine had a different spec... (say...an R3 as compared to a 55 289)....
              Wrong info!.........Original Studebaker distributors do not 'care' about voltage!

Comment

Jack -

I've built a coupla 409 Chevy engines, my dad had three 409 powered Chevy's back in the day, like you, I've seen the parts the a TON of 348 and 409 Chevy engines.

BUT, back a few years ago, I had a somewhat well respected shop owner try to tell me that the small block (same as the big block) distributor,,,"with" an adapter...would work in a 348/409 engine.
                Like your question, the 348/409 distributor is much shorter than the small/big block distributor, with the oil passages/restrictions also in different locations. No "adapter" will align everything that needs to be aligned for this to work. Too many diameter and length differences to work.

There's always someone that believes what are actually, myths and wives tales.

Mike

Comment

I always thought the early two piece V8 distributor was interchangeable with 52-64 distributors as long as you used both pieces and changed the hold down clamp. Is this not true????
                  Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
                  1961 Hawk 4-speed
                  1967 Avanti
                  1961 Lark 2 door
                  1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                    '55 289???? Was that the HiPo model? ;-)
                    Jerry Forrester
                    Forrester's Chrome
                    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

I read with interest the discussion on V8 distributors and see the delco (window type) is mentioned a lot also the Prestolite. I have an Autolite that came with my '63 Lark 259. I recently tried to purchase a Pertronix conversion for it and found they only sell one for the Delco or Prestolite. So whats the story on the Autolite is it Canadian or used rarely or what? As far as the Pertronix goes I also owned a Delco so I exchanged the unit for a Delco unit. As far as any differences physically there are none Either one will fit in either of the two 259's I own. Kustommucic

Comment

I have a 2 piece in my 52, It has a 289 V-8 and is still 6 volt.

Jim
                        "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                        their Memorials!

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
                          '55 289???? Was that the HiPo model? ;-)
                          nit nit nit

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

Your Autolite is a Prestolite... They were a division at one time.
                            As far as a Pertronix goes..
                            Get your tag number, and go to the Pertronix site.

http://www.pertronix.com/support/ignitor-kit/

Put your tag number in the search box (including the 'dash') and see what they offer.
                            There are three 'levels' of Pertronix kits. I have used all three at one time or another, and have had good luck with them.

Originally posted by kustommusic View Post
                            I read with interest the discussion on V8 distributors and see the delco (window type) is mentioned a lot also the Prestolite. I have an Autolite that came with my '63 Lark 259. I recently tried to purchase a Pertronix conversion for it and found they only sell one for the Delco or Prestolite. So whats the story on the Autolite is it Canadian or used rarely or what? As far as the Pertronix goes I also owned a Delco so I exchanged the unit for a Delco unit. As far as any differences physically there are none Either one will fit in either of the two 259's I own. Kustommucic

Jeff

Comment

[QUOTE=DEEPNHOCK;964234][COLOR=#000080][B]Your Autolite is a Prestolite... They were a division at one time.

Actually, that's backwards!.....Prestolite is an Autolite!

Comment

Working...
                              X